Frustrated beyond belief

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Dec 16, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have been trying to make a recording for my teacher to show him what I learned in my last lesson. I don't get to go very often.

Every time I record a movement of the concerto something happens. Either I make a mistake or the CD I'm playing along with skips or the phone rings or something. If it happens at the beginning, no big deal but when I'M just about done and then I crack I could just throw the trumpet out the window!

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Why not leave your mistakes in? It will give your teacher a better idea of where you're really at than a "perfect" recording would.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Remember what the original premise of making the records was, Joe... to show him what you learned. I know he'll take that into account.

ML

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It might sound stupid but, the recording isn't meant for him to correct, it's meant for him to listen and enjoy.

I would like it if he could hear the things he thought me.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I didn't see your post before I answered above.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nothing really to add here Joe other then "Been there"

I record some things from time to time. Another one of my favorites is when I'm just about finished; I'm trying not to party in my head because I know that I nailed it; and the friggin' dog starts barking like mad at some critter in the yard...

That one really gets me.....

7. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    B15,

Keep your window open when you practice and plant roses/mulch directly beneath to cushion the blow.

. . . simple solutions are far better than complex.

Cheers,
    EC

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even making recordings has to be practiced! Don't consider this more difficult than any other factor of your playing. If I am using a CD for accompaniment, I use headphones (only cover one ear) and only my trumpet sound gets recorded. If the CD skips, I just keep going!

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    It seems that you have not been taught patience and tolerance; so, why don't you show your teacher that you have learned these qualities on your own? You can start by being patient and tolerant with yourself and this will spread to others as well not to mention that these character qualities will come back to you from others.

Liad

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thanks guys,

I recorded one yesterday and emailed it.
    Recording is a funny thing, you don't want to put something out there that you know is wrong. It kind of goes back to the thread about sterile recordings.
    It's very interesting to listen to yourself. A lot of it is: "Why did I play it that way, I don't remember doing that."
    This was a recording for my teacher and I didn't want him to think, ("Why did he play it like that?") When I didn't really want to.

Thanks again.