Frustrated With Playing, Taking Steps Backward

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, May 31, 2014.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Absolutely NOT! What are you, a trombone player? :cool:

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark, I agree, that pacing oneself during a 3-4 hour performance is one thing, but practicing by one's self through a grueling practice session for 3 hours, is a different matter and could be very fatiguing. In a performance, we play, pause, play, pause, giving lip muscle a chance to recover from fatigue. With steady practicing, there is no recovery time.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    Unless I'm seriously sick, I practice 2 to 3 hours a day. I can not, not practice. It drives me crazy.
    Dr.Mark

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "In a performance, we play, pause, play, pause, giving lip muscle a chance to recover from fatigue."
    -----
    It's a little different when your performance is as a soloist . I'm the only one that plays the melody and any improv attached to it. Unfortunately, when I suck, I can't look to someone else for help or anyone to blame, It's all me, good or bad.
    Dr.Mark

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess it depends on the performance. In the wedding band there are nights where I think the band leader is mad at me from the songs he calls - I'll go from one chops killer to the next, and the best I can try to do is pace it out, and gut it out when the going gets really rough. There is no "play, pause, play, pause..." going on for me, and especially not with how some of those charts are written.