frustrated

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 7, 2010.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Robert,
    you actually mirror the unfortunate situation in many countries. Something that is missing in very many teachers is the ability to psychologically accompany the student and make their minds tough. Most of the successful players that I know have learned techniques for survival by emulating the teacher.

It is very clear to me that the teacher that looks for the players closest to themselves, will have the easiest time, but overall not good results. The teacher that gets in his students head is the model that we need. I was VERY fortunate at music school.

3. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    Those terrible teachers that you describe are exactly the teachers that I think of when someone on the Internet tells another person, "Get a teacher!".

Such "teachers" almost ruined my embouchure, too.

Another of my pet peeves is...
    People who say that the upper register needs "faster air"
    when it really needs greater air compression.
    They are referring to the same thing, but in a misinformed way.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Hopefully they offered constructive criticism when they heard you play.
    Although from what you posted it seems that they are very set in what they want.
    I dont really condone that.
    I will say that that I do play a Bach Strad with a 1 1/2 C.
    Its just what I sound best at.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Fair enough but should any teacher expect that all students will conform to that?

If things are really as Robert describes it, I understand his frustration. An MP change recommendation should be based only on identification of issues that may be MP related. Ordering by default that one change MP makes no sense. I'd be curious to have these people do a blind listening of a variety of players of similar levels and determine who is playing what MP.

My teacher is having me work at pointing my horn down a little more, but it's based on my jaw position and adjusted according to results. In fact, my position has slowly evolved to be lower as my playing as slowly (ever so) improved.

6. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    If you read my statement above you will note that I DONT condone a blanket assumption as to what a person plays.
    I just added that this is what I play.
    I have heard TOO many trumpet sections that have different makes blend quite nicely.
    If they are that ANAL about the exact make and mouthpiece I wouldnt want to play with them.

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    The most disappointing thing is that this is happening all over Finland? You'd think it'd just be a few bad teachers and some unlucky students, but this is just ridiculous.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Thus we agree

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My take on teaching? The music plays us! I know of some good exercises to assign, but the biggest thing a teacher can do is to teach the student how to listen. Once that is accomplished the sky's the limit.

On the other hand, my boss at the Musikschule loved it when we foisted our students on an unsuspecting public.

Go figure.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    robertslotte sez:
    "the high payed trumpet teachers in Finland says: You need a Bach Stradivarius AND you CAN NOT play anything smaller than a bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece, you must point the trumpet down and blow downstream! and it is ALL ABOUT air, if you are weak, you do not blow the air amount needed!!!"
    ----------
    What the heck!
    Tell your music teacher that Markie thinks he's an ass.