frustrating fact

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I've known a few folks who have had Bells Palsy and they have all made very good progress over about two years, don't give up chet fan

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Chet Fan --- a big thumbs up here --- for just not throwing in the towel and quitting everythinng, and yet finding a new avenue to create music!!!

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    chet fan,

Yes, it is certainly frustrating for trumpet players. A few days ago, my wife and I were joking around with each other. I asked her what she liked most about my trumpet playing. She paused for a few moments and replied "Well, I guess it keeps you out of the bars!" She truly appreciates that I have a hobby that I find absorbing and that is not so bad as it could be, but she still regards a trumpet as a "spit instrument".

I suppose a question that would be worth asking ourselves is "Are we musicians or trumpet players first?" I'm thinking you are a musician first. When one means of producing your unique song is taken away, you adapt and find another. I admire you for that. You set us a good example. Best wishes to you in your recovery.

Jim

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Which would you rather take to a late night camp fire?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey! You're a mental health expert. Common, let us know, what did you do to take over the brain of your wife to chose trumpet over guitar. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DID... for the sake of maintaining good relationships between TM members and their significant others, WHAT IS YOUR METHOD!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I play both as well. I have been playing guitar for about 16 years now. So I'm really good at it. Trumpet I'm just over 2 years but I don't have the same feeling of cohesion. when playing guitar, I don't think, I just play. With trumpet I'm still working out the physical limitations and trying to feel the music as I play it. sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I don't have a problem with anyone telling me to stop playing either one though. Lucky me. :) Either way, no matter what you play, if you practice hard, and love music, and can feel it in your soul. Then I would say you are on the right path. All the frustration and difficulty only makes the triumphant moments ring out all the more clearly. I feel exalted when I'm playing music, and even though I get frustrated all the time and feel like I'm fighting myself. I figure this struggle is what inevitably makes me a better player. So I keep at it and I see the rewards.

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    If you think of yourself as a musician first and not solely a trumpet player you will and can overcome your situation but with a realistic view, for instance, if you can no longer play trumpet to the best of your abilities you know you have an alternative with the guitar.

8. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    yes it is bells palsy. doctor said there is not known cause and not known cure, and that it might go away by itself, and it might never go away. so I am preparing myself for the worst, and if it actually goes away it will be a pleasant surprise

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The Recording? Or would you suggest the Strad?

--bumblebee

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chet fan there is a cure. Your own immune system can beat this. That IS the cure, and the immune response is REVED up by positive thinking, so do not prepare yourself for the worst... I repeat, do not prepare yourself for the worst. Postive thinking (mental images of you playing through this) will bring you back, and the more you channel positive thinking, the sooner this will return... I just know it. Your recovery is definately in my thoughts.