frustrating fact

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I understand what you feel, I met my wife when we both played trumpet in a big band and a clown band [Circle City Sidewalk Stompers]. Have been playing the trumpet for eons and when I started playing the electric bass she would always make good comments on my bass playing but even today when I practice my horn she usually says " sounds like you need some more work on a couple of those pieces". probably need to start the bass back up again after a 8-9 year lay off.

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi all. This thing with facialparalysis seems to be over. I had a therapy where I took up to 500mg of B vitamin a day. So it seems to be over -although I am quite sceptical about it. I can feel my face, I can stretch my lips, and I can smile. I mean I could smile before but it just looked odd. And lips are ok. So I was like thinking about that brassy thing liying there underneath my bed. And frankly I do not hav courage to pick it up. I am completely aware that my embouchure is non existant (and I've been working on my embouchure for years.) And I just feel I will be utterly uterly frustrated when I pick the trumpet. It is not that I havent been doing nothing for the past year: I was doing brreathing excercises on a daily basis -so my breathing I guess is still the same. But I am affraid how will horn response without any embouchure. & years ago when I started I was very frustrated for the first year and a half untill I developed proper embouchure and proper technique. Will I be going through same frustrations again? The horn is still packed in a case under the bed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a clinician, the problem I am seeing is not in your physiology, it's in you psychology. You are now playing mind games with yourself. The Rowuk cautioned curse. Don't even think of going back to the trumpet until you can overcome psyching yourself out, or you will reinforce your demise. If you were my patient, on my first visit, my prescription would cut to the chase and state:

SNAP OUT OF IT !

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as a comebacker myself ------LOOK CHETFAN --- here are the facts --- the trumpet is a difficult instrument, it often causes FRUSTRATION ---- someone said (I recall Arturo Sandoval), on certain days you win, and on other days the trumpet wins. AND if I got that quoted right from the right PROFESSIONAL trumpet player ---then FRUSTRATION is just part of playing the trumpet.

or as a seen from a movie the Shawshank redemption --- "you can get on with living, or you can get on with dying" ----- this paraphrased to my saying ---------you can get on with playing your trumpet and dealing with the frustration, or you can just QUIT, and always wonder WHY you didn't TRY

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Music... it's about making music ... enjoy the music
    it's music
    am I right?

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, I am pretty certain you are very correct -- it is about the music, and integrating yourself with the horn for the enjoyment of the music -- and passing that on and stuff ---- and I am pretty sure trumpet playing in NOT a competition if YOU DONT WANT IT TO BE ---- so YEAH, the music within one is supposed to come out through the big end of the trumpet --- it is about the music

7. KimS

KimS New Friend

Nov 2, 2012
    Or maybe your real instrument is guitar, and you've now had the chance to find it out? Of course, it would be great if you could eventually be playing both trumpet and guitar again.
    My experience has been the other way around -- I was raised by vocalists (soprano-soloist grandmother & great-aunt, mom who made All-State chorus, etc), and so i spent many years trying very hard to develop my singing voice. But never got solos, only 1st-alto middle of the chorus stuff.
    BUT only 9 months into playing trumpet (haven't touched brass since 2 years of baritone horn in the early 80s), I'm having fun playing 3rd chair in community band, got accepted into Bugles Across America at the first try ... and even though I routinely practice at 5:45am before going to work, the neighbors have yet to complain about it! (And if there's ANYTHING to complain about, people jump right on our neighborhood listserv to let everyone know.) Or is it because the neighbors on one side have a cranky baby, and the folks on the other side are half deaf??
    Best of luck with guitar and all,
    Kim from Boston

Roth-Reynolds Contempora 1949
    Rossetti pocket 2012
    US Regulation Field Trumpet 1940s
    a shofar
    and
    the 1860s euphonium I learned on back in High School

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    First, a well made guitar accompanied by an electric tuner has a tone that is clear and with a good intonation by itself. On a trumpet only the development of a good sound will take years.
    Second, a guitar is an harmonic instrument, you can fill up the harmonic space easily. On a trumpet in normal playing you have one tone. A trumpetplayer needs at least a decent rhytmesection to supply a harmonic context to his notes. A sole trumpet is not musically for an untrained ear.
    Third, because (see above) endurance plays a very minor role in guitarplaying you can practice all day long on a guitar right from the start on the instrument, so you will be able to produce a decent sound and context within weeks or months.
    Fourth, people hear guitars all day, they are very popular, for the big public a trumpet is a thing from a century ago and a lot of people will not like the trumpetsound at all in paricular as used by leadtrumpetplayers. My wife, who has no really interest in music, was VERY surprised when she heard Chris Botti. "OK, if that is possible on a trumpet, go on!"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Chetfan,
    Welcome back, and don't let the lay off make you feel frustrated, get back playing sowly and it'll come back quickly.
    I had to lay off about 2 years ago whilst I was working in a remote mining camp with shifts, so could not get any practice in. We flew in via a light plane, so restrictions on weight, and even a pocket trumpet was not possible.

My advice is to enjoy your music. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Cheers

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    yes it is in a way a doomed instrument really. takes years to master, wider audience does not appreciate it at all, on contrary they preceive it as just some very simple instrument because it has three keys (beleive me I have heard tons of such an idiotic and ill informed comments -but thats our reality), chops go away very soon after a gap in pracicting...

And it really takes a huge effort to convince yourself that its actually worth it.