Frustration, Frustration, Frustration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not sure what is meant by "sounding bad." When it comes to playing what you hear in your head, I taught my beginning students to play long tones, and gave them a "mantra": "This is a 'd,' it's fingered 13, it sounds like this, feels like this, and I want it to sound like this." Repeat ad nauseum. Do this with all the notes, and you can "hard-wire" them into your brain. Muscle memory plays a huge factor in playing the note we want. Getting the sound we want is achieved by what Bruno Walter called "impulse of will." Any problems with mechanics, however, requires a good teacher who can listen and look at you while being in the same room.

When it comes to mechanics, internet forums (even one as excellent as Trumpetmaster :-)) may provide some good ideas, but they are often conflicting. It's somewhat akin to asking the question: "Which is the best car?" Answers will range from "Rolls Royce," "Mercedes," "Lexus," "Ford," "Chevy," "Chrysler," etc., and there is always going to be somebody who answers "Yugo." Test-driving cars is fun, and while it is worthwhile to try out some of the concepts presented by the members of TM, the quickest fix comes from a good teacher.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    driving a Porsche...............;-)

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    If there was a way of proving it you could win a bet that the O/P has a typical case of over training. As classic a condition of it as you could imagine. He's done us a huge favor. Essentially his topic is a "How To'" of over training.

1. STOP practicing the top end of your register. SAVE it for rehearsals and performances.

2. Stop pushing the limits of your endurance in practice. SAVE it for the gig.

Jut these two simple ideas will likely fix this cat. Eventually he may find the old High C/D devil that caps his range and I could show him how to fix that too. But...

But right now his symptoms of over training are so obvious that every trumpet player on this forum should re-read his post and learn the condition and how it applies to himself.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to live within walking distance to the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen. I left them out of the list because I wanted to avoid "brand blindness." ;-)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    After reviewing your posts, schlieman, I can read into your Angst.

Relax, calm down and have the patience as it truly is a virtue. How long have you been playing? AND do read carefully into what Rowuk is saying. He gives us all Fatherly adice, and he is offering you the same. Our trumpet father, who art in Trumpet Master's Land, hallowed be his name...

If the spiritual reading offered by Rowuk doesn't put you in the proper mind set, then set up an appointment with my front desk, and I will see if our wonderful world of pharmacology can assist you in any way.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yugo Vulgano Brother, Yu da man! What he says, good teacher; quickest fix! Yugo Bro!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well I'm going out to the hill country with my wife for a few days for our anniversary. I am taking the horn with of course. This will be a good chance for me to step back, separate myself from work, concentrate on a relaxed approach to playing. Thank you Robin, your sentence "Every brainlessly played note sets us back" has really resonated with me. Today before we leave I have just finished warming up and instead of not thinking about it and just going through the motions, I'm concentrating intently on everything that is going on while I am playing each note. You are right, there is a world of information in there. I am resolving to think before I play anything at all. I will keep you and everyone posted on how it's going. Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and advice.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Evan,
    try practicing when you get out of the shower. I am perfectly relaxed then and my body seems to really cooperate. It just moves me a bit further away from the daily stuff that distracts.

Most of the time when I play, it is not "spiritual". It is awake however. I really enjoy being on the issuing side of a trumpet..............

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "By jove, I think I got it!", or so others have said I have. However, to say that there have not been many moments of acute frustration would be folly for me to deny. Otherwise than my dental and health issues, I'm not going to agree in my case that such is "patience" but more like bull-dog stubborn determination to not allow the adverse to seize me. I refer to it as my "N" program viz "N-lightenment", "N-joyment", and "N-tertainment". Works for me! Maybe I don't do anything as well as others, but I now enjoy what I can do whatever the results are. As Edison is reputed to have said, paraphrased, "I now know what doesn't work." as he persued the development of his light bulb. I do believe he was as fascinated by what didn't work as he was with the accomplishment, and that is the key to development of our ability to play any musical instrument.

10. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Tried playing after my shower yesterday. Loved it. Sort of feels like washing away all the clutter that my brain accumulates. When I emerged I was focused, determined, and generally my mind felt fresh and absorbent. Thanks for the tip Robin!