Frustration, Irritation and Despair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aspiring Trumpeter, Nov 2, 2005.

1. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Don't drive with a pencil in your mouth.

Think

AIRBAG.

It literally could kill you.

2. Gary

Gary New Friend

Nov 2, 2005
    I have over the years struggeled with various instruments and I attribute most of my failure to not being at peace my instument. I have just comeback to play the trumpet after 62 year hiatus. I closed my eyes and played what I could to start. Not trying to play from a printed page. I've had my trumpet less than a week and can play "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace." I'm not ready for "Carnival of Venice" but it is a goal and I feel comfortable that I will get there.

You need to get where you play the notes (eyes closed) and your brain puts together all the elements needed to cause your finger, chops and wind to in effect make you one with the instrument. IMHO your time to reach a new and better perfomance level is reach much quicker.

If you read about savats you find: they are blind; have communications problems; many of them relate directly to an instrument (usually a piano). I've watched them play classical music after only hearing it once. This tells me that we have something to gain from these folks. My feeling is to cut the sight connection and play the instrument - getting your brain to do what it obviously can do - put together all the different elements required to become one with the instrument. You will be able to play songs off the top of your head without music and feel good about it. IMO if this is the first step and you accomplish it then the feeding in of sight reading music notation can take its natural place. It seems to me even if your goal is to become a concert performer you have to be in control of the instrument and actually be a part of it.

How many youngsters do you know that took "piano lessions" sight reading music who quit after a few years disgusted with the whole idea. Evidently our minds are encumbered too much information to put it all together efficiently.

I am no expert but I believe what I am doing will pay off for me: I expect to be playing proficiently: trumpet: flugelhorn and baritone horn in a year.

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    One thing you must remember, as you become a better player your progress slows down. Dig out a solo you played a year ago and note how much better you are playing now. Find another solo that is a bit above you, practice it for a few weeks then put it away for six months. In six months you will be amazed at the progress you have made. Not all great players started young. At the last Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra concert I attended the program notes were full of "so and so started playing at the age of 13, 14 15".

4. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    I had the exact same situation as you when I was about your age.

Fortunately I discovered a great teacher that helped me to develop into a successful professional trumpet player. Read about it here:

http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm

Best wishes,

John Mohan

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I remember as a 13 year old, things did come as fast as i would have like.
    Iwould be learning something by nat adderly note for note kind of stuff, and some times i would take it out on my horn whenit was,nt going well.
    I would walk down the hall way,s of the house banging my horn on the wall,s...................................................IM much better now that im older.
    I realized that was the makings of a spoiled kid! ;-)
    things come when the come man.