Fuel Injector Treatment and Trumpet Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JamesWolf, Aug 24, 2011.

1. JamesWolf

JamesWolf New Friend

Apr 18, 2010
    For the last month or so I’ve had trouble with sticky valves. I use Blue Juice and it usually works fine, but lately even after oiling, they haven’t seemed quite as they should. I washed the instrument and particularly the valves but that didn’t help much. The valves were reworked last year so they ought to be in fairly decent shape. In desperation, I tried putting some STP fuel injector treatment on and voila; they immediately began working like new. I only used the treatment once since it stinks like a refinery, but it sure did the trick. My question is, does anyone know of any adverse effects to me or the horn, which could come about because of applying this treatment from time to time?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Very bad idea, Napthalene is really nasty stuff.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    There's a few M.D.'s on here, they'll probably confirm what the others said. As far as I'm concerned, leave that stuff to the injectors........Buck:oops:

5. JamesWolf

JamesWolf New Friend

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks to all for the input on this issue. I did talk to my doctor this morning and he said that while I probably haven't done a great deal of harm with this one usage, he wouldn't make a habit of it. I guess I'll clean up the horn real good and try something else if the sticky valve situation resurfaces. I don't have that many brain cells to lose. :-)

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It is about using common sense.

Lots of stuff we use to clean horns isn't good for us to inhale or swallow, and even the stuff we use to lube horns is mostly bad for us if it gets inside us. But if you rinse the horn afterwards enough I don't see how it can hurt you. While working with it you need to be careful about ingestion, ventilation and contact, as the greatest exposure risk is at that time.

I have seen frequent recommendations here for using lighter fluid to clean valves, CLR to clean horns, and no big panic posts from others. Even with no MSDS we know that stuff is not something we want to consume or breathe.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    By the way I've been recommended against blue juice. supposedly it's not very pure and tends to leave residue. I personally use al cass , but you'll get a host of answers if you ask which is best.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    sometimes when my valves get that draggy feeling I do one of two things - I either soak valves in a small glass of white vinegar [up to the guides] for about 15 minutes while I clean out my horn or I use Isopropyl alcohol to swab out my valve casings and to wipe down the valves themselves. Both seem to do a good job at freeing up my valves.

9. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I have been told my several trumpet players that Al Cass (which is what I have used for ages......) will over time leave a residue...
    I just purchased a huge bottle of Roche Thomas valve oil...we will see!!

My question is where is the Claude Gordon signature oil???

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

I agree that the small exposure won't do much harm in the long run. You're going to clean your horn, and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry at all about this.

However, repeated exposure of these benzene-like compounds (which are in STP) are carcinogenic. Whenever I see an adult in the ER with blood in his urine and no obvious cause, I ask about benzene and tobacco exposure, which are the two main causes of bladder cancer.

I agree with veery715, that there are other toxic things we use in our horns, or at least lots of things we'd rather not ingest.

And for the record, in case anyone is wondering -- valve oil is basically a mineral oil or the chemical equivalent of a mineral oil (ie, a medium chain branched alkane). Of course, you should use them correctly and safely. But these oils are fairly benign.