Fuel Injector Treatment and Trumpet Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JamesWolf, Aug 24, 2011.

1. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I wonder if I use a High Octane product will it
    stop the Valve bounce?

:woop:

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    :-)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Much has advanced in "recent" years with OH&S and MSDS publications - I remember as an apprentice being sent into aircraft fuel tanks with a open 1 gallon tin of Methyl Ethel Ketone (MEK) and wiping down ALL the structure prior to corrosion removal treatment, chemical anodising of the repair, and then spraying a coating called Bekothane? - a heavy duty industrial grade kerosene resistant coating onto all the flat surfaces. I always wondered why my rubber gloves used to grow six or seven sizes in the process, and why I suffered extensive headaches for days afterwards - I now know, and I put NOTHING like that stuff anywhere near my face. I don't think any damage has been done. :shock: Incidentally, we used empty Naphthalene (Naptha) tins to hold the MEK.

4. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    Naptha by itself has a low flash point - it evaporates quickly, leaving no residue.

The other components of the fuel injector cleaner have differing flash points, so they
    may stick around a while and/or leave a residue.

I feel comfortable cleaning my valves and casing once a month or so with naptha. However, I do it in a well ventilated area.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Al Cass is a petroleum based product that does leave plenty of residue. The lubricative part of Al Cass evaporates inside of a day, so you HAVE to oil every day to prevent wear. Good synthetic oils last MUCH longer.

The point of this thread is the use of a toxic substance on a trumpet. The clear recommendation is NO unless protective measures are taken to flush everything out before use.

There are still plenty of happy BlueJuice and Al Cass (Hetman, Yamaha, Roche Thomas, LaTromba...................) users. They probably are just keeping their instruments clean - or don't care.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    A doctor will likely need to give you you the most restrictive, conservative answer. Keep in mind that players for years have been making their own valve oil -usually from karosense and automatic transmission fluid. I even gave it a try for about 10 years and have never had any adverse effects (twitch, twitch, jerk, jerk, shake, roll eyes). I'm not advocating that, but suggesting just use common sense -good ventalation, etc. :)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No. You need to add lead.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    When I read the title of this thread I thought something totally different. One of the things I love about trumpet is that all you have to do is pop in the mpc and you're good to go...except when you have to oil the valves. So I had the *bright* idea, why can't somebody modify a trumpet to inject fresh valve oil into the valves from a little reservoir? Maybe triggered off a little key or something. This way we don't have to mess with unscrewing/screwing valve covers, getting oil all over the carpet, spouse complaining about it, sticky valve in the middle of a performance etc. You'd just have to fill the reservoir up every once awhile. I know it sounds goofy, by then again I've seen some of the fancy Monet trumpets that seem to have some pretty neat innovations.

9. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Awesome thread, I thought I was the only one who experimented. I am an engineer by education, and a petrol head if there ever was one. I would drool incessantly while watching the commercials for a snake oil product called Prolong. Came with a fuel treatment, transmission treatment and an engine treatment.

It also came with a little pen full of Prolong infused general purpose oil.

I was going thru some stiction issues when I had an idea.. I coated the valves of my Benge 3x+ with that general purpose oil. Yes. Very thick for that purpose.

I sweetened it with Al Cass and off to the races I go.

So here we are nearly 20 years later. When I pull out the Benge maybe twice a year, the valves are NEVER stuck. Sluggish, yes... But not stuck. I add some reg valve oil and away I go. Valves are fine, compression is fine, etc. No visible effect at all.

Not recommending, ot endorsing.. Just relating a story.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sounds like a great idea, for a very expensive trumpet. Every valve stroke moves air, so to put that to work by capturing some of it and using it to pump oil through a set of tiny pores in the valve cylinder shouldn't be too hard. Or even a gravity-fed system with the resevoir above the pores. Now I need some meds to slow my mind down. :stars: I know - I'll go practice!