Fuel Injector Treatment and Trumpet Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JamesWolf, Aug 24, 2011.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Good grief. Nothing like a toxic shortcut.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Great idea. It really is a pain to have to stop and oil valves. The efforts seem to have been at valve oils themselves-making them last longer. Your answer would be from a totally different angle. How, if you REALLY want to stir up trouble here, just ask "the" proper way to oil your valves. You will get a variety of answers from unscrewing the valve, to pulling the slide, to going from the bottom cap, to who knows what. And everyone has their reason why they are right. :) I've always wondered what some of the super oils you see on TV might do for valves -you know the one where they claim it binds to the valves and cylinders of the vehicle and they run the motor for 15 minitues without oil and it never seizes? Yeah-I know for all you that can't stand to loose a few neurons -toxic vapors. :)

3. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That's the idea. At the level of your oil port you will need a groove ring cut into the piston or the cylinder to distribute the oil around the full circumference of the piston. Perhaps a vertical groove as well to another ring at the bottom to get the oil everywhere.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    We will need a Notometer, or Metronome inter-link to download when we need to service, and change oils. I can see some Smoking Valve Jobs ahead.

Not a bad idea, although I do like oiling my valves before and after every play, first thing I do before I play, and again before it goes back into the case. It's a bit like tinkering with an old car, love the smell and visual inspection etc....

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is already being done:
    http://www.jm-gmbh.de/pix/Drehventil_Schmierrille_Deutsch.pdf

Piston valves have such a large area that capillary action is not enough to move the oil. Remember, the oil has to be "viscous" enough to stick to the metal and create a film. Pistons would require a pressurized system.

Reality Check:
    if our valves are not too badly worn and properly cared for, they work perfectly with standard valve oil. If they stick, there is a reason - that can be addressed.

There is no reason on earth that we need unnecessary contact with toxic chemicals. There are plenty of stupid things that people have done to themselves by simply not knowing better. We don't need to brag about our indestructibility. We all pay a price for sins previously committed. We are doing no one a favor by inviting the gullible.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Early multi cylinder rotary aircraft engines, and some radials, required the pilot to pump oil to the engine bearings using a hand pump. The loads on our trumpet "bearings" are much lower and regular manual oiling, providing the machinery is kept clean, will serve us all well. Look how well trumpets actually last. Be diligent, focus on the regular maintenance of your horn, using quality lubricants, and you (and your trumpet) will be OK.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If I remember correctly, castor oil was used in WWI--story is, the fumes did what castor oil does to the pilots that, uhh, led some of them to cut holes in the bottom of their seats and going over enemy trenches, it was "bombs away!"

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Geez, I was actually gonna be serious with a thread response this time. I scrubbed the Getzen this weekend (rocking like a hurricane) and remembered the part about alcohol in the valve casings. Having NEVER used that approach and I was quite positive MY valves were already spotless, I soaked a clean white rag with alcohol. Uh....okay, so like almost spotless valves......now I know. The valve casings had a wondeful grayish residue left in them, so much for spotless. Re-oil them with Al Class and like greased lightning.....thanx for the class in horn cleaning.......chuck

10. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    :lol:

Splatter Bombs :lol: