"Full" mutes sensitive to mouth shape?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GaryT, Jan 13, 2011.

1. GaryT

GaryT New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    I just got a Yamaha Silent Brass mute, and noticed something it does... something very similar to my wah-wah mute... it's very sensitive to my tongue position, the shape and, I guess, natural resonance of the cavity of my mouth. So when I'm doing tongue stops, the trumpet will also start going "wah wah wah wah." It's pretty annoying... is this normal for everyone? Is there a way to prevent it? Is my technique wrong? I'm touching the tip of my tongue to the hard ridge behind my top teeth.

2. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I noticed it too...the slightest movement of the toungue bends the sound in all kinds of fun ways. Was very annoying at first, but I eventually got used to it. I barely notice it anymore, except when I'm thinking about it...like now...thanks for reminding me..:x:-P

3. GaryT

GaryT New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Oops, forgot to clarify what I meant by "full" mutes. Was having trouble typing up a reply - the message text fields seem buggy lately...

anyway, by "full," I meant a mute that covered the hole completely, like that Silent Brass and Harmon wah-wah mutes.

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I have the Silent Brass system, and I move my chops and tongue around on purpose-kinda gives it a phase shifter/flanger effect!!!:play: