Full range of motion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Nov 15, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've fiddled here and there with various things over the years - the pencil trick, the P.E.T.E. (made my own version of it from a stainless bolt - it's a pretty slick little tool) but overall I've never found anything that helps as much as focused practice on the horn. You don't need a large range of motion to play the trumpet and in fact, there are many (probably most, actually) who believe that too much motion in your chops is actually detrimental.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's funny. I had to read it several times to get.:thumbsup:

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    We all practice as much as we can. The pencil exercise ( I can't speak to PETE but I think the reasoning holds) takes at most 4 minutes of my day and I do it at night when I am reading or watching TV. It doesn't in any way take away focused practice time. As far as chop motion, I have heard lots of testimonials on both sides.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    +10

Why does it have to be all or niothing? Not everyone has 18 free hours a day to practice. A lot of working pros I know don't, and a fair number of them use some form of off the horn isometrics.

Now, if someone comes along and says "I want to use this device in lieu of some of my face time on the horn" , then that's another story.

If it doesn't work for you, fine, say so.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FH,
    I don't think that it is all or nothing. Isometrics are fine once the "good" habits have been established and you are only trying to maintain. Before you have synergy between body, soul, ears, lungs and chops (in that order), isometrics are probably a bigger destructive than constructive force.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I would not quibble with that.

7. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    If I understand the OPs question, he's really trying to avoid an overuse injury. Many times using muscles to repetitively perform small motions causes problems. An example would be shoulder problems from too much typing.

My guess is that if it was a problem we would've heard about it by now. Just to be on the safe side, why not just move your mouth around a bit- pucker up, big "O"s , stretch/contract in different directions, etc.?