Full sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, May 24, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I agree with Robert. You can actually use effects with your throat when you play. For example, I can make a flutter tongue sound by vibrating my throat. I assure you it opens and closes. Ask a sword swallower about opening up the throat.

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005

I figure you're kidding, but Buddy DeFranco can play well. How good would jazz be if it were just trumpets, cornets and flugels. We need drums, bass and yes, clarinet. Part of the beauty is the contrast of the different instruments.
    YouTube - Sing, Sing, Sing - Buddy DeFranco & Les Brown 1983

3. geobe

geobe New Friend

Apr 25, 2009
    The dictionary definition of throat is, "The part of the digestive tract that lies between the rear of the mouth and the esophagus including the fuaces and pharynx." There's a lot of soft tissue and muscle there and it's very capable of closing down the air flow. It's called holding your breath. You can hold your mouth wide open with the tip of your tongue resting on the bottom of your mouth and completely stop the airflow. This is where the air is stopped with the K syllable in double tounging. If the muscles in your neck are contracted, especially around your adams apple it's going to restrict the airflow.

Last edited: May 31, 2009