Fun and Difficult trumpet solo

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Oreomilk4444, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Oreomilk4444

Oreomilk4444 Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2016
    Hello, I am looking for a fun and difficult trumpet solo. I am looking for something challenging, something that is college level, but one that I wont go crazy playing a bunch, any suggestions?

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    My favorite is Enesco Legende. Technically challenging, yet always musically satisfying. Like a Charlier ride, you can never stop improving this piece of music. Also, this is a standard college solo, so you will need it anyway if you're planning in studying music.

True Tone likes this.
  3. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    Oops, "etude " not "ride". Stupid autocorrect...

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    What do you mean by "wont go crazy playing a bunch"?

bumblebee and True Tone like this.
  5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm not sure this can best be played as a solo (that is, without accompaniment) but you might consider "Libertango" by Ástor Piazzolla. I like the way Doc Severinsen plays it, and also Tine Thing Helseth, here:

--bumblebee

BrassBandMajor and True Tone like this.
  6. TomThornton

TomThornton New Friend

Oct 30, 2015
    London, UK
    Charlier "Solo De Concours" is a good one: all sorts of things there to keep anyone busy!

I find Reinhold Friedrich's recording to be my favourite, and this video even has the music.

cb5270, rufflicks and BigDub like this.
  7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    These are good suggestions, but my guess is that this is for a competition? If so, you should stick with the standard trumpet repertoire.

8. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm not so sure about that -- at a recent ensemble competition my son played violin at the adjudicator commented on how refreshing it was to hear so much new music which hadn't already been done to death. One of the top scorers in the competition played an instrumental of "America" from "West Side Story" (which may actually be a common competition piece, but he noted it wasn't another Bach minuet).

Similarly, many years ago when I played in a brass band competition the adjudicator then said he always felt a bit nervous when yet another band chose "Florentiner March".

--bumblebee

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It might be interesting to read OP's comments regarding responses to this thread... or perhaps not.

10. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    He (or she) may not have seen the replies yet - possibly may not visit TM as often as you or I do and at time of this post hasn't been here since just after posting. Over my time at TM I've been away for a whole week at least once (and I'm still grateful to Coolerdave for filling me in on what I missed for that week :-) ).

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 7:35 PM