Fun exersize for weak 3rd finger

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ozboy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Fun exercise for weak 3rd finger

Just thought I'd throw this out there for any young players. If you have a weak third finger and want a different way to sort it, try moving your fingers forward one valve (so that your second finger is on your first valve) and practice exercises like Herbert L Clarke Study 2 in the keys of F, G an A. It's just for variety and brain training. Is sometimes helps.
    Cheers
    PS Can't wait for Rowuk's reply. I think he'll shoot me down in flames.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How about trying what Arturo does to practice 3rd finger stuff. PLay Clarke Study #2 in E major using 3rd valve instead of 1 and 2 on the A's and E's. It is super tough to do quickly. A real brain buster.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ozboy,
    no flames from me. Anything that keeps the creative juices flowing is commendable (well almost anything).

How about some repertory that even needs that 3rd finger?

Goedicke Concert Etude
    Bizet L'Arsienne Suite
    Vivaldi Concerto for 2 trumpets if you use the A picc to play it (MUCH easier)

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    That's why I suggested the Clarke in A as you have to use your pinky once fot the G#.

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Why not to use one of those hard-springs ??? Those are use mainly by typewritters to develop more power on their fingers. It helped to me in the past.
    Best regards

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a little gizmo called VIA Handgrip that I've been working with for the past few months - I found it in a guitar shop when I was picking up one of my husband's axes from repair. It has 4 buttons, and looks and feels more like valves than any other version I've seen. I have been using it to help rebuild the strength I lost from surgery, and it's working pretty well for me. I use the light tension model - that one takes enough effort. I've been using it on technical patterns in places where I can't play, like on airplanes, and it's been a pretty neat little tool for about $10. I'll search for a link to post.......

7. mercedes

mercedes New Friend

Dec 3, 2008
    Florida
    Flugelgirl,
    Thanks for the finger exerciser link. I have started back on my trumpet after 20yrs off and my 2nd/3rd valves keep sticking. The guy at the music shop cleaned and oiled them...I guess it must be weak fingers?? Sometimes the valve will stay down even after I take my finger off...??? Any advice?

8. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Mercedes -

I don't think the valve sticking has anything to do with weak fingers - could be a couple of things:

1) Make sure the valves are constantly cleaned and oiled (don't just load up with more oil - get the old oil off). Also - might try a light oil - Flugelgirl just did a test on BERP oil - sounded good, Ultrapure is great - I use Hetman's on one of my more finicky horns.

If that doesn't work and you are having this problem immediately after taking to the shop for cleaning - then:

2) Possible that you aren't pressing the valves down straight on top - can push slightly and cause them to rub against the cylinder sleeve and stick

3) Valves may be worn - and may need to be hand lapped or replated/refinished (which includes lapping). Hitting the valve from the angle can wear them overtime - done it myself to my Olds Ambassador when I was young and my hands were much smaller and I could barely reach the 3rd valve. Just had that horn ultrasonically cleaned - but the valve still hangs up if I don't hit it straight on - and its really due for an overhaul - valve plating is worn.

Here's hoping that helped a little - and that you can get past the valves hanging up!!!

9. mercedes

mercedes New Friend

Dec 3, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks for all the info!
    I use Al Cass oil at the moment...will that do?
    As for hand size...mine are small so I guess I'll pay attention to see if I'm really hitting the valves straight-on. Thanks again!