Fun Family History

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Higgiq, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I remember my dad's uncle telling me that he had played under Sousa at the Ohio State Fair when he was young. Last night while wandering the web I found a reference to Sousa leading the All Ohio State Boys Band at the Ohio State Fair in 1928. Uncle Ralph would have been 17 that summer. I think it is really cool to have some verification of his story. :D

(I also have his trumpet, I wonder if it was what he used then?)

2. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    That's pretty awesome. You can find surprising things when researching your family .:play: I know some of my ancestors were really good at piano, but I haven't found any brass players yet...

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Neat story. If you can establish how old the trumpet is, you will have a better idea of it. If it's newer than 1928, then you have your answer. Older, and it's probable that he used it then.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    One of my ancestors was a pro flute player in the 1910's-20's in Boston

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Interesting! You know he had a fall from a horse in 1921 that broke some ribs and injured his left arm so that he could only move his hand and not raise the arm, so had to change his conducting style. My late mother noticed that when he came to Grand Rapids, Mi for a concert , I think also in 1928. Must have been some experience as a high school player.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My father played in the Grand Rapids Press Newsboys Band under Souza three different years. I still have my dads Couturier long cornet that he played at that time. I donated a panoramic photo of that band to the Grand Rapids Public museum.

OLDLOU>>

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When Sousa was released from the Navy at the conclusion of WWI, where during such he conducted the Navy Band at Great Lakes Naval Station, he formed his own SECOND commercial band which though it existed he didn't direct that much ... as in fact his assistant director led the band during most of the band recordings. Playing cornet in this second band 1926-31 was my school instrumental music instructor and Carnegie (PA) High School Band Director who was also my private tutor, Walter H. Cameron. When Mr. Cameron left Sousa's band he went on to play with Ringling Brothers Circus before they bought Barnum & Bailey's and combined.

Sousa died at the Lincoln Hotel, Reading PA in 1932.

Also playing flute in Sousa' second band was Meridith Willson who went on to play for a time with the NY Philharmonic Orchestra and then hosted a radio show. His acclaim is most likely the music of The Music Man and the song 76 Trombones. The first song of his I played was It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas.

A trivia question: What was the first commercial song of Sousa's that was published?

Sousa addicts (like myself) would certainly like to visit the Sousa Museum on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana. Though I wish I could, I haven't.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never heard about his left arm being so injured, which is not to say it wasn't. What I immediately think of was the fact that Sousa was first a master violinist. If he couldn't get the left arm up to support the violin and finger it, he'd have had to give it up. Gets me thinking about my right arm! Just don't think I'd have enough years left or the money to buy a left handed trumpet while I do believe I could work around holding it.

9. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    Dale, I have dated the trumpet to 1926 but I don't know when he got it. Its playable and in fairly good shape with just a few dings and a missing bottom valve cap.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Cool! Then it's at least possible that he played that horn with Sousa. If you repeat it enough, it will become fact and then, provenance...;-)