Fun,fun,fun (or I need to get out more)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by camelbrass, Jan 7, 2006.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I've just spent the afternoon with my newly purchased cornet (late 60s Besson International) trying desparately to play Arban's Fantaisie Brilliante with mixed success and then listening to Mr Marsalis nailing it on Carnaval. Then going back and doing it again and again and again.

Seriously for those of you have never picked up a cornet to try, do it now!! It'll spice up your playing...most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Regards,

Trevor (sadly lacking a social life)

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No Trevor, you have a great life! Playing your cornet is more fun than most things. (you can do with your clothes on.....LOL) While I was dancing between Bach Cs last night, I picked up my old Besson cornet and played some licks from Carnival of Venice and some Arban Characteristic Studies. It's a lot of fun!

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    If you think you're ready for real fun, try getting rid of the clothes and then play your cornet...

Please, don't post pictures....

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    try it in PUBLIC

just not in Columbus OH

5. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    My Boosey and Hawkes Imperial was given to me as a Christmas present and I have being having loads of fun too - I was bought up playing this instrument at Brass band (it was actually a Besson Imperial) so it brings back loads of great memories and plays really well. The GR 3#7 mouthpiece works really well with it too, although the mouthpiece that came with it is just marked "prototype" plays very well too - I have no idea what it is though - it seems to be around the Bach 3 rim size and similar shape cup volume to the GR #7. I have been working on Carnival de Venice (with my clothes on I hasten to add!) and it plays it beautifully and much easier than on my trumpet.

Graham

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I'm sorry, my edition has no cues about taking articles of clothing off.

Trumpetblower88, what edition are you using so I can get one? :lol:

Any duets with the same markings?

I started playing cornet full time a year ago with a local Brass Band and you folks are right. It's a lot of fun. But I would recommend you go the traditional route and use a V shaped mouthpiece.

I would be curious to know what Wynton uses on his cornet. Anyone?

7. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Rogerio,

The GR #7 is very much a traditional V shaped mouthpiece! I am from the UK and was bought up musicially through the British Brass Bands and played at the Albert Hall (as in Brassed Off) and would have nothing less than a traditional V shaped mouthpiece!!!!

Anything else is blasphemy.........mind you..... we were talking about no clothes.......(!)

Graham

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have bought two cornets recently [olds amb. and king master] and have really enjoyed played them. I don't know if it is because they play slightly different than my trumpets, it is something new, or they really are more fun, but I do really enjoy playing them. Dave

9. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Dave,

I don't know much about the King but I have heard great things abbout the Olds - how do they compare? Enjoy your cornets!!

Graham