Fundamental question: Corners pulling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sonicgeo2, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Hello TM. I have been working for a long time (almost a year!) with a couple of different teachers in an attempt to figure out a way to keep from pulling my corners apart as I ascend. I would like to know what advice you have, and am especially interested in hearing from those who've had this problem before. Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Earl Irons lipslur book - Twenty-Seven (27) Groups of Exercises

And then do LOTS of them. This is a big part of my approach by EVOLUTION instead of Revolution with improving chops.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I think I might be able to help but you'll need to use your imagination.
    Stand in front of a mirror when you put the mouthpiece to the lips.
    What do you see?
    Are the lips aready set to be stretched (pulled apart), or are they sort of puckered?
    Work on your pucker. Imagine your pucker as an "M" that you "constrict" as you go higher. Watch Tine Helseth and Alison Balsom on youtube and pay very close attention to their faces and lips. Pick one of these two people and try your best to emulate their pucker.
    Also, contrary to popular belief, playing with your pucker will not make you go blind.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Try leaning into the top (outside) edge of the mouthpiece and form a sneer. corners firm, chops flat against the teeth, roll tongue forward. Try this with some "siren" sounds on the mouthpiece.

5. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Lip buzzing in front of a mirror. Buzz the octave below the pitch you would play on the trumpet. Focus the buzz with your chin, and ascend by compressing the aperture. Find a resonant sound with overtones. And don't do too much, because it can stiffen you up easily.

I've also found that Irons lipslurs are very helpful - play them soft and with control, don't just blow hard to make the come out.

Also, the Jim Thompson Buzzing Basics book has been doing wonders to address this issue for me in the last few months.

Stuart

6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
  7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    No, but watching Tine Helseth and Allison Balsom over and over might !!
    :cool:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Markie said:
    Watch Tine Helseth and Alison Balsom on youtube and pay very close attention to their faces and lips. Pick one of these two people and try your best to emulate their pucker.
    Also, contrary to popular belief, playing with your pucker will not make you go blind.
    --
    Sergei Nakariakov is good for this too.