fundoplication surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My Doc says I need to get this surgery. Meds help my reflux, but don't really control it totally. Doc says it is causing my asthma and now I have "walking pneumonia" and can't seem to get rid of it.

Have any of you had surgery for this problem? Any of you doctors out there know how this surgery will affect my trumpet playing, and how my trumpet playing will affect the success of the surgery? How long will I have to be off the horn?

Any advice would be very helpful to me in making this decision.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The surgery is to correct a hiatial hernia. A simplified description of this is when part of the stomach moves above the diaphragm. There are different types of hiatial hernias, and not all of them require surgery. Your surgeon can help you make this decion.

One of the side effects of a hiatal hernia is acid relux. Acid refux can often be controlled by diet changes, weight loss, or medications.

Acid relux can exacerbate asthma. Acid relux that can't be controlled can lead to other problems. Pneumonia probably isn't one of them, although bad refux or poorly controlled asthma can be a contributory factor.

In the long run, this surgery shouldn't effect your trumpet playing. Recovery time depends on the type of surgery being planned for the hiatal hernia repair, probably somewhere between 2 to 6 weeks. I've posted general guidelines here before. Playing the trumpet is similar to moderate physical activity (like a brisk walk) and moderate weight training (like working with 10 to 20 pound free weights). Talk to you surgeon about this. But when you are cleared for these activities, it is probably safe to resume regular trumpet playing.

Mike

3. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    The standard procedure is a Nissen fundoplication, and it is most often performed laparoscopically these days. It is usually quite effective in reducing reflux and with this in reducing the side effects of reflux. Let me be very clear about this: I AM NOT A SURGEON. But due to the type of surgery involved here, I believe that it will be important to avoid any significant increase in intra-abdominal pressure - like a Valsalva maneuver - for longer than you might think.

By all means, ask your doctor. But he probably doesn't know anything about playing the trumpet or what is involved in playing from a physiology standpoint. I would suggest that low, soft, long tone playing should be okay by 2 weeks, but I wouldn't expect to start hard playing for 6 weeks.

Long term effects? I suspect that if the surgery is successful, you might play better or easier because of fewer lung/asthma problems.

Good luck to you.

Doctor by day...wannabe trumpet player by night (and weekends). Crabs 'r Us.

Harrelson Bravura B-flat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Selmer Radial B-flat
    Conn Vintage One B-flat
    Getzen 800 Eterna Cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack Flugel
    Jupiter 846RL flugel

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Thanks. I really appreciate the advice. Like you said, most doctors don't know what trumpet playing requires physically.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Unless you have an underlying neurological disorder...

DON'T DO IT!

The BEST medical evidence out there shows that there is ONLY benefit to those with significant neurological disease, in patients with an intact central nervous system the fundopication does NOTHING to benefit the patient in the long run and risk is significant. Last week alone, I had 2 patients that transfered from another instution that loves to do fundoplications, neither have their reflux controlled, and now there are pulmonary complications that have required referal for lung transplant.

Thank goodness I am not overly opinionated.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    True, which is why I listed comparison activities that your physician can equate to your trumpet playing.

Mike

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my personal opinion - I used to have the "reflux", a lot of that was by a very stressful job that I had --- I literally ate bottles of tums each week (not like that solved the problem - but it was temporary relief). I was also fairly overweight (not that I am skin and bones at the moment). I also didn't exercise as I was on night shift.
    all are contributing factors in my opinion ------ I lost my "stressful" job, then I lost about 25 lbs -- I could do another 25, but the first 25 helped --- my new job involves a fair amount of "physical" exercise, whether I want to or not.

so --- reduce stress, reduce weight, exercise ----- oh, and 1 other thing, I changed my diet ----LESS of fatty red meats, LESS of fast food dinners, more veggies, and virtually no sugar, and LESS acid anytime before I go to sleep (in other words, I dont' eat spaghetti sauce and try to go to sleep for the next hour or so)

hope that helps -- it seems to for me!!!!

best of wishes

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Couldn't have said it any better. Natural healing is more effective, a heck of a lot cheaper, and without complicating side effects.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Sorry for the quick tangent but we need a moment of silence for such an occasion

Whatever just happened with GM and KT will NEVER happen again, consider it the TM "lining of the planets." This agreeance will not last, so enjoy the moment.

And continue.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, and such alignment of planets could also wreak havoc as to the storm surge that may result from Hurricane Isaac’s landing in the Gulf.