Funiest thing ever said about your playing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 13, 2010.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    A critic wrote in a major newspaper about my performance of the Haydn Concerto," The legato passages were not clearly articulated." :cool:
    Wilmer

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    THAT is funny!

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    My favorite so far.

In the church we used to go to, we would have rehearsals on Sunday morning and would close the doors to the sanctuary so people wouldn't be bothering us. One morning a couple of older gents were in the room talking loudly, almost to the point of being rude, while we were trying to rehearse. A little distracting, especially to some of the newer members. I was gracious, and didn't ask them to leave. After a while, one of the them came up to me and said, "Can you play a little softer? We can't hear ourselves talk!"

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    You're a genius (Scary, isn't it?). Done!!

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Ya gotta love critics!!! Critic: Someone who can do not, but tells you what not to do.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I sit in on a college band as an alumni. Last year we had the pleasure of playing jointly with a HS band from our director's home town that was directed by his son. It was great to see some very acomplished VERY young players. I was heartened to see that instrumental music is alive and well for at least one more generation. Well...after some inspirational words by both directors and a nice concert with the combined bands we finaly had time to actually talk to each other. I had young (like 15 yrs old) people on either side of me and as I turned to one of them she blurted out in an astonished voice "how OLD are you?" I laughed, I cried, I wanted to shoot her and then myself! Seriously, I made the point that music doesnt stop after you are out of school and that life long musicians are the norm, not the exception. After this rocky start we had a great conversation about her musical journey so far and her future plans for a career that included time for trumpet. She was very interested in my journey and impressed by my longjevity (I dont know how to spell it but it sounds more dignified than 'old'). Thankfully I came away from a potentually embarrasing situation with my dignity intact and my point made that there is no need to be a comeback player if you dont quit to become an "adult". I never intend to get old when it comes to playing thats why they call it that, playing...its for kids.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

The only qualification for being a critic is to have air in your lungs! :lol: Scary genius huh?! I'll take it!ROFL

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Have you ever noticed that in every bar, there is a really old guy who sits there and takes it all in?
    I had a band for a while called the Little Big Horns. We did a gig at the end of a jazz and Blues festival. We played Brown eyed Girl and only one person got up to dance. She was drop dead gorgeous but had the wobbly boot on. She proceeded to dance in a rather provocative way and remove pieces of clothing. Some people were very offended to say the least and there was a deathly silence when we finished. After several awkward seconds, the old timer at the end of the bar said
    "You guys are really great. I have always been a fan of Van Morrison. Do you guys, perchance know the song Brown Eyed Girl?" His timing was superb.
    And yes, after a few moments to regain composure we launched in again and the brown eyed girl did not disappoint.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ...... and it sure is fun playing music with kids, they are so forgiving of an 'old blokes' foibles - and I recognise that I will NEVER reach professional level with my playing - I just don't have time. So I will do my best, and search for the fun in the music in the meantime. I just hope I can meet the expectations of some of these fine young musoes :oops:.

10. Gator1

Gator1 New Friend

Dec 14, 2010
    My second career is teaching in high school and I can certainly relate to this! In addition to the band kids being shocked that I still play, there is the "technology gap" the "style gap" the "hair gap" and on and on!!

Jim

larry tscharner likes this.