Funiest thing ever said about your playing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 13, 2010.

1. BRSpringer

BRSpringer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    A friend of mine, barely 5 feet tall, was asked by a woman after he played the piccolo trumpet if that was a trumpet specially made for short people.

2. Gator1

Gator1 New Friend

Dec 14, 2010
    My last command on active duty was the Navy Operational Support Center (Formerly Navy Reserve Center) in San Antonio. We were tasked with performing honors at all of the Navy funerals in the San Antonio area. The Navy issued us these huge bugles with monstrous bells which were barely playable but would hide the conical gadget which played Taps. I got many comments on how wonderful my musicians were at playing Taps.

My personal favorite: "How do you play so perfectly without moving your face and chest at all?"

Personally, I would rather have an 11 year old Boy Scout massacre Taps at my funeral than have somone push a button on an electronic gadget.

Jim

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Better than while playing before during church ?

Obviously, I couldn't hear a note you played !

4. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    ...There's nothing like a good band, and you guys are NOTHING like a good band. :D

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Went something like this, talking about the section:

"I think they're supposed to play at that point and I believe they actually did."

The joys of amateur playing :oops:

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Bwahahahaha!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ??:-?

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I was once recording with some friends and the music was pretty modern and out. I was playing electrified trumpet and effects and the music was pretty damned good. Now, I'm going to preface this by saying that I have often laughed at this guy's comment and think he was basically deluded. I only posted it here because the comment is so outrageously stupid.

We finish a take and the engineer/studio owner/failed musician comes into the room and begins to congratulate us on how talented we are, and that he can't BELIEVE what we're playing, and on and on and on (the sort of thing you hear from someone who's never heard the real heavies, so you sound heavy to them).

After a few minutes he sidles up to me:

"Man, I've never heard a trumpet sound like that"

"Well, I'm using a lot of electronics and stuff..."

"No, I also mean played like that, you're amazing..."

"Well, thank you, but there's a stack of Miles Davis and Weather Report albums you should probably check out..."

"I dunno man, you sound as good as those guys to me...I mean, what's the difference between you and Wayne Shorter?......he's got an agent!"

After looking him straight in the eye and realizing that he just didn't KNOW any better, I responded deadpan:

"Yeah, you're right man. I gotta get an agent!"

bigtiny

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HA HA HA HA HA. That's funny!ROFL AND COLD!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    NO, yet, I don't wear hearing aids and no longer live in Virginia, now living in NC and I've never heard a horn loud enough to carry so many miles so don't expect me to hear you live over such a distance, albeit my home now is just 30 minutes to the VA border.

Still, the best place I've ever found to play my brass horns (ability to play them all, but not present capability due to health and dental issues) was in a church sanctuary, during services or otherwise.

Am now practicing with church choir to sing during Christmas cantata Christmas eve ... not a solo. :play:

Merry Christmas everyone !