Funny Brass Band video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by New York Brass Band, Apr 3, 2012.

1. New York Brass Band

New York Brass Band New Friend

Apr 2, 2012
  2. New York Brass Band

Apr 2, 2012
  3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I used to play in a similar style band -Circle City Sidewalk Stompers, played in that group for over 11 years. Really enjoyed that group more than any other group I have played in. I was the crazy guy that went out and danced with a lady. we did a 12-15 minute routine and as I got older my back and feet couldn't take multiple shows [6-8] per day so I had to leave the group. Loved the energy we got from the crowd. Young fellas enjoy yourselves and good luck.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Help me out here, never mind the Brass Band/not brass band issue, why is it called "New" York Brass band? I was expecting NY City, NY, USA. Not that I'm dissapointed, mind you, just threw m:shock:e off.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm with Rapier "Brass Band" suggests the English tradition to me. I do think its a little mean to have a go at the closing of the Colliery that was not a period in England to be made light of. Grimethorpe are still around with traditional instrumentation and sound that is all that counts.

I been in York and seen the NYBB and it did rankle with me no matter how good they were to call themselves a Brass Band in York was not quite right. Considering York has Shepherd Group, 2 if not 3 bands, RI, Golden Rail, Ebor Brass. All "proper" brass bands. I might have forgiven this in New Orleans or New York, but not in York. It would be like baseball at Headingley

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    First of all, I am from NYC, and there is something in this thread that offends me.... I just haven't figured out what the heck everyone is talking about.... is there such a thing as a US to UK english dictionary and cultural guide?

7. New York Brass Band

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey guys

The name of the band is not designed to offend, it's just a play on words as we are a new brass band from the ancient City of York in the UK. The guys from brass bands in the north of England think that its only a brass band if it has 24 musicians and 2 percussion so they won't accept a Nola band or a Serbian Band or an Indian band or a European band all of which are Brass Bands. Hope you enjoy the music!

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    This is a brass band, isn't it ?
    [​IMG]

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Yes, French Brass Band

10. nordlandstrompet