Funny how my range changes-DRASTICALLY

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Hello Mr. Jtarpley I am another comeback kid from the sixty's I play a Getzen Severinsen eterna and have been playing for about 5 months now. I do have a teacher also, and even though I can go up to a high c he stresses the low work outs from the Clark tech studies and does not want to push the upper register to much right now. I know he is right because I can feel the strenth building in my chops and the notes are easier to play without getting tired too soon. It is hard to be patiient but well worth it, as my teacher say you don't start out weight lifting at 300pounds you start out light and that goes for the musells in your face as well. Wellcome to TM
    CW Schroeder.

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    When CW says "it's hard to be patient" he's described the biggest problem for adults, for beginners and especially for comeback players. When kids at 8, 9, 10 start out they have no preconceived notions about how great they should sound, they're just happy to be learning the instrument and occasionally playing songs they recognize and they are quite content (usually) to simply advance as the lesson book advances, both in range and musical complexity, until 7 or 8 years later when they're seniors in high school they're playing major etudes and passing auditions for all-state and other honors groups and never really think about the long time they've spent reaching that point.

Adults, on the other hand, are listening to Phil Smith and Maurice Andre and Maynard Ferguson and Wayne Bergeron and Doc Severinsen CDs and wonder why it's taking them (the adult students) so long to sound like their professional heroes. And for comeback players who remember being god's gift to the trumpet when they were seniors in high school, they can't understand that after 30 years, it's just like starting over and the muscles need time and carefully controlled exercises just like they had when they originally started back in 3rd, 4th, 5th grade.

Impatience plus constantly comparing themselves to professionals whom they will probably never sound like is very discouraging to adult students -- if you want to be a good trumpet you must "be as little children" and not think about anything other than playing the exercises you are assigned to the best of your ability.

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I dont have a problem with Monette-its the stuffy players who look down their stuffy noses at you because you are playing a stock horn. Its been that way forever. I could care less what brand someone plays-whether its rumpet, guitar, or accordian. Its the guys with the"oh you play a JUPITER(snicker,snicker)"attitude that bite. Those guys make me want to jam a harmon mute up their *ss!! 've seen it for 40 years. You play a Monette-great. Or a Yamaha, Schilke, Benge,Taylor-they ar all great. But dont give me a superior attitude just becauseyou play a Monette, and I play just a lowly Jupiter(thats not directedt you,rowuk, its jus a general"this is how I feel" attitude. Like I said, all plkayers should be rspected for how they play-not WHAT HORN they play.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are absolutely right. Brand of horn does not prove anything. I don't know any Monette players like that, but I only know 40-50 of his 2000 instrument clients. (Don't get me started on Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker.......... guitar/bass players are no better........)

My personal experience has been the opposite. I show up sometimes with the Monette and the "standard" players that have never worked with me start whining about blend before I play a note.

There is a great deal of that prejudice on the web too. For the most part TrumpetMaster is free of this type of BS because the moderators are very "pro-choice" and informed.

Back to YOUR drastic change in range. You did something more right on that day meaning you are not that far away from making it repeatable (at first not always, but with time of course more often.