funny noises when adding vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I recorded myself and I noticed on the longer notes I add vibrato, I make a funny noise in my throat. It's like a humming noise sort of, is this bad?

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have a slight "grunt" in my throat sometimes when I do lip slurs, and I believe we've got the same problem - unnecessary throat tension.

Remember to always keep your throat open and relaxed. This is a very, very difficult thing to do if throat tension is a habit. My advice would be to take it up with your teacher - or get one if you don't have one already.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Your vibrato technique needs to change if you're making throat noises while adding vibrato. Vibrato should, in my opinion, come from the breathing muscles in a sort of oowoowoowoowoo sort of way (try whispering that and you'll see what I mean), combined with a very slight shift in your oral cavity. Some people accomplish a great vibrato solely by moving the right hand in and out, which very slightly alters the pressure of the mouthpiece on the lips and varies the pitch. Others accomplish vibrato by moving their jaw up and down, probably the hardest to control for the slightest vibrato.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The noise is most likely there when you don't use vibrato. It means that your breathing cycle stinks. Look up the circle of breath posted here MANY times for an effective cure. There are also other approaches, this one seems to be the simplest.