Funny problem resolved.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    So I was having this intermittent tone problem, and it was driving me buggy. All summer long I kept playing with what could best be described as "diapson" or two tones at the same time. Didn't sound terrible, just terribly different. I hated it. As fall approached I noticed the problem was getting more intermittent. One day I was getting hot while practicing and got up and shut the ceiling fan in the room off and my "diapson" magically disappeared! DUH! Apparently the sound while playing was echoing off the fan blades overhead and I was hearing the change in tone with each fan blade as it passed. :shock: :oops:

I bet I am not the only one who has experienced this....but I spent a LOOOONNG time working on my tone because of it! Silly me.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Astonishing! Your experience will surely be of interest to other brass players. Happy you solved the problem!

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Does that mean that the best help to work on your sound is a overhead fan?

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Desktop fans are just as effective...I once spent about 4 hours trying to find a mysterious rattle in a horn I was working on. I took everything off, one piece at a time. Valve springs, lyre screws, spit valves...couldn't find he culprit. Turned out to be a vial of needle springs sitting on my workbench resonating with certain pitches. I felt pretty dumb....

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In my music room there is a cow bell I bought during holidays at the mountain. It resonates whenever I play an Ab. I must try the alphorn!

6. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    If it had only work for range I would be one happy camper! Alas I am still very average.

7. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi CKKPhoto,

Look at the positive side, you'everyone really learned to listen.:thumbsup:

To add to the list, I've go an old table clock in my practice room that hasn't worked in years. One day after moving some furniture around I did my regular practice warm up. It took me a couple days to finally figure oue it was the chime coil inside that clock that was still ringing. But only on F.

8. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    Barliman2001 --- are you going to install one in your new room?

Hmmm... ceiling fan: how big? large bore or ml, maybe mlp? small bore for high notes? lacquered or raw brass or silver, maybe gold plate? Did Miles Davis have one - if so, what brand and model? Is there a hard case for it? In Bb, C or??? Cornet mouthpiece or trumpet? Will it fit under the seat on the airplane?

Hmmm... I'll have to sleep

9. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    on it.

10. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I guess its a good thing I dont practice in the kitchen....would hate to shatter the stemware.