Funny problem resolved.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Nov 25, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I noticed this awhile ago when playing on a hot day in the family room that had the ceiling fan going full speed. I recognized the effect immediately as the people making Leslie speakers developed this effect many many years ago, when you slap that speaker onto a Hammond B-3 Organ. A marriage made in heaven. Always have been a big fan of fans.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    hmmm... gives me an idea to put a PC fan on a modified Bucket mute and see what I get!

3. simoncroft

simoncroft New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    SE England
    That is a great story and a lesson for all musicians to be aware of the interaction between themselves and the surrounding environment. I'm sure we've all had the experience of holding a plastic cup that suddenly resonates quite violently in reaction to a particular frequency. Well, as some of the comments above illustrate, everything around you does that to a greater or lesser extent. I once saved a drummer from driving himself mad trying to damp out a rogue frequency on his snare drum before a recording session. All I did was put the palm of my hand on the high tom head where the resonance was actually coming from.
    (Actually a drum kit is about the last thing you need in a room when you are trying to overdub another acoustic instrument, because they are a mass of potential resonances. Most brass will set off the snares under the snare drum, as well as more subtle resonances from the drum heads. Likewise, acoustic guitars left leaning in the corner of a wall can unexpectedly spring into life!)

4. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Wow, this is cool. Never expected so many similar experiences. The things you learn on this site!

5. CornetComeback

CornetComeback New Friend

Jan 26, 2013
    My instructor has an old banjo in his practice room. It resonates when I plan around low E.

6. simoncroft

simoncroft New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    SE England
    I've been kicking this idea around and I think it has real merit. Here are a few ideas of my own that might help to turn this into an expressive and versatile effect. Firstly, get and old guitar wah-wah pedal and covert it to a foot controller for the fan. By sending DC power through the potentiometer, then onto the fan, it would become a speed control (rather than a variable tone control for the original circuitry). Re-purposing the on/off switch to activate the fan is obvious enough. As it comes out of the box, a PC fan probably has blades designed to minimize turbulence, so it might be a good idea to modify them, either so that some areas of the 360 degrees let through more sound than others (which would give a tremolo effect) or by creating a baffle that would throw the sound out to the side. That second idea would probably sound a bit like the organ Leslie cabinet mentioned earlier in the thread, once it started spinning. Now, if I could find a bit of time over Christmas...