Funny Taps story....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Oct 14, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Ok friends. I had made plans for going out of town on Nov 10th. Veterans Day services are being held that Sunday in churches across the country. My wife's aunt asks me if I would play (sound) taps on "the bugle" for their service. Being the patriotic guy that I am (and OIF vet), I reluctantly say yes and cancel my trip. I told her that I didn't have a bugle, but I would be happy to play it on my trumpet. She facebooked me a few minutes ago and said "the church said Taps has to be played by a bugle only" And "If someone from VA admin shows up, there could be trouble for the church". I quickly said "Well, thanks for asking....It would've been an honor" and rescheduled my trip.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Really shouldn't say it, but your aunt and her church aren't very current. Only at Arlington National Cemetery is TAPS sounded on custom made Bb bugles and officially elsewhere the ceremonial electronic bugle is now authorized in addition to the U.S. Regulation in G or a trumpet or cornet in Bb. The Veteran's Administration has no authority whatsoever about this.

3. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I know. I've sounded Taps many times for ceremonies and military funerals. If I were hell-bent on doing it, I could probably clear it all up rather quickly.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder what kind of "trouble" this church feels the VA could cause? :-)

Mike

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    RPG to the bell tower. sorry, couldn't resist. Have played Taps and always on a trumpet. have seen Taps played quite often and can't ever recall seeing it played by a bugle.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Probably a dumb question, but is there any specific rule as to whether it has to be played open or is you could use a valve? Assume open is standard. Haven't played taps in years but have always played it open when I did.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Probably a dumb question, but is there any specific rule as to whether it has to be played open or is you could use a valve? Assume open is standard. Haven't played taps in years but have always played it open when I did. Well, come to think of it- there was a choir piece recently that had taps in the middle - it was open.

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    whiskey tango hotel

9. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Steve, I've always played it open. Not sure if there is a hard, set in stone regulation stating a key.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good question. When I sound taps with Bugles Across America, I typically use my Getzen Field Trumpet in the key of G. When I've occasionally used a Bb trumpet, I've sounded it in both concert Bb and concert G.

[​IMG]

In the spirit of the OP's story, here's my 2 cents. When I sound taps, I do it according to the rules of the organization sponsoring me (usually BAA) and the wishes of the people who requested my services. I don't listen to anyone else telling me how or when it should be sounded.

Mike