Funny Taps story....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Oct 14, 2012.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I was at Arlington a couple of years ago and Taps was sounded on a trumpet--not a bugle.

2. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    I sound Taps on an Olds Ultratone G bugle (valve/rotor 1970). My understanding is that this is acceptable to Bugles Across America - if I ever reach a standard that merits offering my humble efforts to them. Despite being a valve/rotor bugle, to the uninitiated and from a distance it looks more like a bugle than a trumpet (because the valve is horizontal).

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wonder if the recording used by the electronic bugle was played on a bugle or a trumpet?

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Timely reminder for me to get by bugle out of the loft and give it a polish. Ready for my Last Post engagements on November 11th.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    First thing, IF someone from the VA showed they would most likely show up in the casket that was getting buried, cause the VA can’t take care of them selves let alone patrol the ranks of people playing taps for our veterans. That is ridiculous, sounds like this ladies head is too big for her shoulders and doesn’t realize she just screwed up taps for a veteran who deserves it. Sounds like she needs a life. You could have shown her a tenor sax and argued that it was a field bugle and she wouldn’t have known the difference. Now…. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played taps in my life….hundreds easily. I’ve always played it in the key it was written, as it was written, and I’ve see many guys play it a third, a fourth and even a fifth down……don’t ask why….old chops I guess, who knows, and that recorder bugle……nasty but better than nothing. How would the VA, or that idiot lady know the difference from a trumpet to a bugle and what key your playing it in. Heck you could inhale a lung full of helium, (which will make you play a third higher) and start on your low D and still play it as written…….lets see the church lady figure THAT one out !!!! Sorry, I’ll turn my “Rant” switch off now. It bothers me that a veteran was denied his / her rights because of some pathetic person who doesn’t have a clue…..Personally I would find that guys grave site and go play taps for him / her anyway, (probably film it and go show that lady) the veteran deserves this…. OK NOW I really found the rant switch and it’s off……sorry.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Also as a member of BAA I have used both my Kanstul Bugle in G and my trumpet in the open position. However, it is permissible to used any fingering on a trumpet to perform in lower keys. Some buglers have done this when performing in close proximity to the family, or when they feel more comfortable in playing in a lower key.

Gary

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    From 8/76 to 4/78 I played taps for veterans as The Coast Guard Bugler. I used a Schilke B6. If a trumpet is good enough for JFK's funeral, it's good enough for anyone.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A trumpet is fine for Taps, but JFK's Taps was sounded on a Bach Strad Bb Bugle (field trumpet).

I use a Kanstul Bb field trumpet, same design as the Bach, when I sound Taps. I guess I'm just a purist for using a field trumpet, but a cornet, trumpet, flugel, marching bugle, etc. should do fine. As long as it's live and reasonably well played, the actual instrument shouldn't matter as long as it sounds bugle-like.

Kanstul Bb Field Trumpet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    bravo zulu!

10. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    There is a film on YouTube of taps being played at JFK's funeral - on a bugle.