Funny Taps story....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Oct 14, 2012.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    And here's a video of a wooden replica of the JFK bugle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVMVtrvtArQ

Mike

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it is only the bereaved that determine how TAPS is sounded and not a living soul otherwise has any authority and should keep their mouth shut out of respect. The Department of Defense governs only military personnel performance!

I give the bereaved their choice, in G as sounded on a U.S. Regulation bugle, or Bb on a trumpet.

Usage of the Bb (valveless field trumpet) came into being because it projected better at Arlington National Cemetery, but a U.S. Regulation in G has a long history of usage by the U.S. military and I feel it does just as well for interrments in places not as vast as Arlington National Cemetery, the latter which by regulation none of us will ever sound TAPS at.

Therein lay the answer to which valves on a Bb trumpet are used preferably, the answer being none.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Dale is right as usual. I just watched the original video of JFK's funeral. It's a bugle. Thanks Dale.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm 98% right most of the time, except when I'm wrong...

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out to be a mistake. :)

7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have seen/heard TAPS sounded more times than I care to really admit and I have seen it done on trumpets and bugles in both 'G' & 'Bb'. I even saw a uniformed honor guard do it with a trumpet and the recorded mute device inserted in the bell. (the most unimpressive ). I certainly believe if a recorded version of TAPS is acceptable then I think someone could do it on a violin if that was the only 'live' instrument available. If someone has access to any regs that state any rules, I, as I think many others, would appreciate a link to or a .pdf of them.

Just as an aside, if there were really such stringent regs re: the sounding of TAPS one might think there would also be regs regarding the garb of the person sounding TAPS. I actually think it would make more sense to regulate the mode of dress and as such I am actually trying to find a dress uniform of each service so I could represent their branch of service. And before I start a buzz here, I have already researched the legality of this. As a vet myself I can wear any uniform as long as I do not display any rank or medals and I think anybody could do this for this purpose.

Ray Z :play::play::play:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The appearance of a veteran and now a civilian in the military uniform in which he served is legally becoming a bit ambiguous and now loosely enforced at the discretion of the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Federal District in which the offense is alleged to have taken place i.e. it maybe that no prosecution will take place.

However the applicable Federal Law is 10 USC, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Sections 771 and 772. To this, we must reference the current regulations of each branch of the U.S. Department of Defense and Executive Orders of the President in this regard.

I must state the bonafide Honored Award of the Congressional Medal of Honor excludes the awardee of when and where s/he wears the uniform from such law and regulations that does not discredit the branch in which s/he served.