Fustration - The Kid Who Can Just Play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Dec 7, 2006.

1. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I think we can all understand that it was a blow to your psyche. Understandable. Now, you have to find a way through this and get motivated towards your next level of playing.

May I suggest that you look at this from another perspective. Forget what happened...and certainly don't think of this as a set back of any kind. It is actually a good opportunity for you. With the other kid in the lead chair - etc, the pressure is off for you. No worries about how you are going to manage range, etc. Let this other guy worry about that stuff now. YOU, on the other hand, can focus your energies in the practice room - with the intention of just simply working on playing trumpet and NOT as part of a competition against anyone. This is especially true while you still have those braces. Most likely, you are going to have some re-training to do (embouchure-wise) when they come off anyway. Your muscles and fingers can still get a work out in the meantime.

Have this positive attitude about your situation and follow the advice of the other posters on this thread. Your situation is a mere blip in your life. This is your opportunity to step back and re-focus your efforts in a positive manner. What a great opportunity you have!! You will gain much and look back on this as your turning point.

2. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    OH THANK GOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!! i'm a sophmore in high school and i'm considering a career in music so i'm practicing day in and day out yet theres always someone better or just so close to me w/out having to practice so hard. the trick is to think not that they're just that much better but that you're one of a higher ranking group of players that are all relatively good. then just practice for two hours a day and in three months think about your progress compared to theirs.

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Hmmm....I might be out in left field here, but here goes. Every trumpet player here that has played awhile has gone thru what you are going thru now. Every trumpet player that has played ever will STILL go thru what you're going thru. You'll always find that the next band seems to have a hotter horn player than you, BUT the last time I looked at my sheet music and it has "2nd Trumpet" stamped on it, it didn't say "To be played by the 2nd best" below it. Every part in a trumpet SECTION is important....think not? Bugler's Holiday or Chase's Get It On are a couple easy one that come to mind. Play the music in front of you as best as you can, the chairs will come. Me? Played Lead Junior & Senior year in Jazz, Concert & Wind Ensmbl.....went into the Marine Corps & played 4th Trumpet. Took a big cut in ego.....chuck:cool:

4. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    this is a tricky subject because in my experiences (as few as they are) i've always tried to tell myself that my part is important and i know it is but the thing is (in high school bands atleast) the players playing first are just plain better than the players playing third. technically it's decided because of range but that's just always how it works out. so when i'm playing second or third i always see myself as less of a player in comparison to the others, and of course when i'm playing first i get an inflated ego, but that's the trumpeter way :cool:

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    We never did things this way when I was in school. The better players were spread out on the various parts because as chuck stated, "All parts in the section are important". It also helped to develop those weaker players by having someone a little more experienced sitting next to them, sharing their knowledge. Take this time to help out the other 5 or 6 guys playing second with you while at the same time developing your playing. Remember, those guys playing second with you now will probably be playing first with you in a year or two. Music is not just about being the best. It is also about sharing knowledge with others to increase the overall talent in a group. Just my 2 cents.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    There is so much going on in the 2nd & 3rd parts that I never knew existed when I was the "best". Counter melodies, harmony, chord resolutions, cues for other instruments....I was too busy shining as the Lead to worry about little stuff like that.......anybody can play melody. When you can play the 2nd & 3rd part as well as the Lead can play his part, THEN your section has it wired and there's nothing like a full trumpet section that is balanced thru the parts. It wasn't until I got out of high school that I realized just what that sounded like or meant. I'm playing 3rd Trumpet now and loving it, don't want to play Lead, I'm anchoring the section and I know it (some of that trumpet player ego).....so does the Lead. More of my $.02 :cool:

7. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Actually, I can understand how you feel. I went from being a big fish in a small city to a small (hardly noticeable) fish in a big city--that city being New York City. My morale started to slip just like yours until I decided to use this time constructively and focus on jazz improvisation (an opportunity that I did not have in my previous musical community because I was busy playing gigs and lead trumpet so much) and learn something new as well as take advantage of the wonderful live performances available to me.

You can use this time wisely and effectively to learn other parts outside of the first part that will assist you and make you a better first part trumpet player when you get there. You will then more fully understand how all the parts function and work together.

I play more today for the music than I ever have in my entire life. I work on progress and improvement in small steps. One of my former trumpet teachers told me, “Never compare yourself to others.†I try to live by that concept. It is a difficult concept because trumpet players can be sensitive just like other musicians, especially when they are younger and first chair and what part you are playing seems to become more important. Do not equate your own self worth with what chair you are sitting in. Work really hard and really get into the part that you are now playing.

I can sure think of times when I had felt better about my trumpet playing in comparison to other trumpet players. I think that many trumpet players have experienced this in their playing career. I used to be recognized for my lead trumpet playing in my previous community. In fact, around the mid-1990’s I had job offers after graduate school as a trumpet player from the Navy, Marines, and Army bands and had a great offer to play in one of the top six out of fifty Army bands in Norfolk, Virginia (scoring two tenths of a point, 3.4/4.0, from the DC band in my audition) and call backs with several Air Force bands.

However, that is not where I am at today. I have not had a gig since I moved to New York City in over two years, but this is understandable because there are so many great players here. So, I have to accept where I am at today with my playing and move on with my life. Where I was at yesterday is not where I am at today, which is not necessarily where I am going to be tomorrow or in several years from now. This is the same in your situation.

Practice consistently and find a good to great trumpet teacher in your area or nearby who can help meet your musical goals. They will help you move in the right direction. Keep positive and stay focused.

Janell

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Great post Janell.

Regards,

Richard Oliver