Future music major

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Nov 5, 2013.

1. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    Hi all,
    If you saw my introduction post you probably already know that I wish to study music in college (I am currently a junior in high school). Specifically I want to major in trumpet performance, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing so. What are some good schools? What if my ultimate goal after college is to join a symphony orchestra? What should I be doing now to ensure that I will be ready for auditions when I begin applying?
    Thanks

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Hang out in the nursing building as much as possible so you can marry someone that can get a job and have insurance!

3. isuckattrumpet

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    . . .

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Remember this thread when you are 30yo... and practice lots!

5. isuckattrumpet

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Using your favorite search engine, seek for "trumpet audition lists" Spend a bunch of time listening to the pieces on the list and different orchestras, listen to them over and over again to get a sense of style. Emulate the great players. You'll need to develop all kinds of technique, be able to play extremely loudly and extremely softly, sometimes aggressively and very lyrical. Do this and when you are in college you'll have a huge advantage. If there is is a youth orchestra or community orchestra nearby, try to get into those.

Look for colleges with orchestral players as teachers.

Good luck!

7. isuckattrumpet

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    @Vulgano thanks for the helpful info. Lately I've been working on the Hummel, intro to Mahler's 5th, Pictures, and Petrushka. Current goal is to audition for some youth orchestras. My spotify playlist is full of symphonies and concertos which I regularly listen to, and it helps a ton! I've also watched a ton of videos on Youtube like some master classes (Gabor Tarkovi!), lots of different symphony orchestras like SF, Boston, Berlin etc.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What he said.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For classical music interests, do look into the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Orchestras are like lion dens. Anyone not known there will be torn to pieces. So your main aim must be to get to know as many orchestras and orchestra players as possible. Are there any amateur orchestras in your area? Talk to the chiefs there, and to their trumpet players (if they have any regulars). Try and get in and play with orchestras as much as you can. Go to concerts of renowned orchestras as much as you can, and after the performance, try and hang around the stage door, catch the trumpet players after performance and ask for their autographs (worked for me. I got into a renowned radio symphony orchestra as a substitute that way - by presenting the trumpet players with a trumpet case of mine to sign). Try and find out whether any orchestra trumpet players are resident in your area, get to know them and try and get a few lessons from them - anything to get noticed.

rankamateur likes this.