Fuzz in Sound, Prana Mouthpiece, Monette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trombonus Rex, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel

Not to detract from the wisdom of Manny but to rather give you some more avenues of information to help you, the following might be of interest.

Rich Willey, plays bone and trumpet; so, he might have some information to your liking.

You can go to his forum on TH and post your question there: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

Or contact him directly: [email protected]

There is an all brass forum wherein there are trombone players and you can also post your question there as well: www.brass-forum.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Liad

2. Ruli

Ruli New Friend

Mar 13, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Thank you for your answer.
    I can not play my high A relexed because I have to push the note down. But I can not push hard enough because it is still too sharp.
    Do you have more tips?

Ruli

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ruli,

I'm confused... are you using the slide on the first valve to drop the pitch on the high A? Or, have you considered using the 3rd valve. Bud Herseth used the 3rd slide for the high A quite a bit.

ML

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I have more info to add before you give an answer, if you don't mind.

I have a couple different Monette mouthpieces that are all similar. Some have a sharper A than others.
    I was just messing around with this, this morning.

I use my slide on high A or third valve on a smaller trumpet) On my B flat third valve makes it go flat. I had a lot of trouble with B and there is no adjustment that I know of for that.

After playing on the prana for a while the problem went away. I don't know why. It had to be me because the mouthpiece didn't change. A is still sharp but an easy fix with the slide and B is an easy lip thing.

This is a guess, if they made an "A" perfect, "C" would be way off.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Concerning the message about alternate fingerings, go down to the bottom of this page/link on the right hand side and you'll find the alternate fingerings. http://experts.about.com/e/t/tr/Trumpet.htm

Liad Bar-EL

6. Ruli

Ruli New Friend

Mar 13, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Using the first slide is not enough. The third slide is pulling the note down enough. But I think that I do something wrong using the PRANA mouthpiece. Using the slides is saying that the horn is not in tune.... I think.

Ruli