Fuzziness in Sound..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trjeam, Oct 10, 2006.

1. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I was away from playing trumpet for a few weeks due to surgery in my mouth and now I'm trying to get my chops back in shape.

One of the things I've noticed is that my sound is very fuzzy and airy. I can't keep things focused and centered.

what do you suggest?

2. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't think about a pink elephant.

What'd you just think about?

So when I tell you not to worry about this... you're going to worry.

But really, don't worry about this. Keep doing what you were doing before. Maybe add some low, slow, lip-slurs to your practice regime at the beginning. Concentrate not on the sound (I know I know I know....) but the "connectedness" and smoothness of the slurs. Also try doing some lip bends... There's a great Stamp excercise for that... These should immediately bring the focus and "centeredness" back into your sound.

And don't worry about it. :D

Kevin

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Jorge, you are simply a bit out of shape after taking some time off. Things are a bit softer and less strong. Don't try to change anything you were doing before. Allow everything to regain its strength responding to a steady, supported airstream and take lots of little breaks when you are practicing. Flexibility is a good way to reacquire your muscle/flesh memorization. That is where the fuzziness is coming from. Once your corners have regained some strength, your lips will be supported at the level they once were and all will fall into place. The main thing is trying not to manipulate anything to happen sooner than it naturally wants. Play simple "Concone" melodies softly, concentrating on making music and keeping the airstream supported. You will be fine.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Adding to Alex's post:
    soft Clarke studies, in the mid-low register and scale studies really seem to help alot.

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Wow...Kevin's right!! Tell me not to think about something, and you think about it instantly!

Don't think about just relaxing and doing what Alex said....I had a similar problem after getting braces off and it went away soon enough with patience and time....

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    All the above posters are absolutely right but the single most important thing is to not make it an important thing.

Make it nothing by being singleminded about the sound you create. You'll be back in shape soon. It's llike having been a long distance runner, talking a year off and expecting your gait, stride, and endurance to be the same. It takes a bit of healing and hearing.

ML

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A fun thing to try while waiting for the fuzziness to go away -- see if you can make it even fuzzier at will, and bring it back to your normal (although at this time temporarily fuzzy) sound. It might speed recovery, and will make you an expert on playing fuzzy! It may come in handy as a teacher or when playing "The Music Man" for big bucks later on!