"Fuzzy" Sound?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter on the roof, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Trumpeter on the roof

Trumpeter on the roof New Friend

Jun 4, 2009
    Plymouth, IN
    My high school band director tells me that my sound is fuzzy. I have heard it in other trumpet player's tones. Not much note. Just a lot of air. It's more air-y than anything. Could any of you point me in the right way as far as embouchure tips or helping to solve this conundrum? I also feel like as I am playing high notes, I tend to smash my lips into the mouthpiece. How do I keep my lips farther away from the mouthpiece to keep from going sharp and getting that "Ring" around my lips every time I play?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a daily (and I mean daily!) routine - about 30 minutes of quality time. 10 minutes of long tones played at pianissimo, then 10 minutes of easy lip slurs played pianissimo.
    Both should be done by inhaling deeply and "exhaling" through the horn - no tonguing to get the sound started!!!!! After that comes 10 minutes of easy tunes like Hymns out of the hymnbook or standards from a fake book - no high notes yet, just beautiful music!
    The answer is the same as above. Many highschool players simply do not EXERCIZE the patience required to get really good. There is no multiple choice solution to playing. Only sensible HARD WORK, DEDICATION and PRESERVERANCE will fix those issues. They are very common in the young player with no routine. There is NO ALTERNATIVE!

3. Trumpeter on the roof

Trumpeter on the roof New Friend

Jun 4, 2009
    Plymouth, IN
    Thanks Rowuk. I guess I just don't get in enough quality time with my trumpet. Thanks much.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Check your spit valve corks.

5. SCV81

SCV81 Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.

for the easy tunes, what would the highest note be?

Easy tunes are found in a Hymnbook. The highest notes are f/g at the top of the staff. Most don't go higher than D or E.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Everyone has a different perspective on what their "high note" is. Just what ever note that is above your middle register.

7. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hi Trumpeter,

Just out of interest, when was the last time your horn & mouthpiece were thoroughly cleaned? A build-up up sludge in either can cause this issue as well. Try a good clean first!

:-)

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    What rowuk sez about getting a routine is spot on. I'd only add that you ought to read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment and Watch Urban Agnas' videos on "Flow'