FWSO Principal Trumpet Retires

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Oct 28, 2013.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I was fortunate enough to attend Bass Hall in downtown Ft. Worth this Saturday evening with the wife for an evening of Beethoven and Debussy.

Steve Weger, Principal Trumpet for the Ft. Worth Symphony Orchestra for the last 31 years, retired recently, and they took some time to honor him and his work.

It was by far the longest ovation of the evening, and I was really glad to be there.

2. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Thanks for posting. I studied briefly with Steve. He was so nice to give me a free ticket to hear him play as a soloist with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. It was a memorable evening.

Best wishes to him.

Janell Carter

Janell Carter : Trumpet Corner

3. MiragePilot

MiragePilot New Friend

May 2, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Has the FWSO chosen a replacment Principal Trumpet yet? I recall that they were auditioning for the replacement a few months ago. I never saw a (published) result/announcement, though...

Peter

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I haven't seen anything yet.

That job opportunity hasn't been available in 31 years, but I fear I would fall far short of the requirements.....

5. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I recently performed the II. Ballad movement (on Flugelhorn) of William Perry's “Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra” at my church in New York City with Katie Reimer, a Carnegie Hall pianist. This is the second time I received a standing ovation in performing this movement...The first time it was with the pianist, Faser Hardin, in May 2013...

This clip is for Steve Weger, Armando Ghitalla, Laurie Frink, and TM friends...It was a heartfelt endeavor.

Please feel free to listen to this performance on YouTube:

William Perry's "Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra" - II (ballad) - http://youtu.be/O46xqOyqCxE

Thanks for listening!

Janell (Jan) Carter

---
    Former trumpet faculty at the Wilkes University Conservatory and Community School of the Arts in Wilkes-Barre
    Website: Janell Carter : Trumpet Corner - http://course.wilkes.edu/trumpet/
    Master of Music in Music Performance from Ball State University
    ---