FYI Yamaha/ Malone

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by dizforprez, Oct 4, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    didnt know if any body cared to know this or not but Chris Martin of the ASO if playing on a new Yamaha/Malone chicago model.

2. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Are you sure about that. I heard he wasn't into the new Malone.

On the subject of Malones. Or the old ones before he "joined" Yamaha. Does anyone know the difference between the MC1 AND MC2 Leadpipes.

Diz have you heard that alpine yet?

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i had the transmisson go out on my truck so i have to hold off on CDs for good while, but i can promise you the next one i pick up will be Alpine.

While I didnt hear it from Chris, someone else in the section told me that he is using the new Malone and yes same person told me that at first Chris didnt care for the horn at first but he seems to keep going back to it.

I was told that the other members of the section didnt care for them and the person i talked to said that the new malones feel alot like the laskey bachs.

info on the MC leadpipes: taken from Trumpetherald member a-okay

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was once going to do the Malone Website (Before he joined the Yamaha Family). This info was going to be on the site: He no longer works on the Bachs or other horns. And he is the BRASS DEVELOPMENT GUY for YAMAHA. So GREAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING THERE. In fact the New 8310Z is replacing the 6310 etc...NEw stuff coming soon I hear.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Details about his previous conversions and services are as follows:

The Malone Trumpet Conversions maximize the performance potential of instruments made by Bach, Schilke, Yamaha and other brands. (no longer other than Yamaha at the YTamaha Custom SHop in Grand Rapids, Mi or new horns in near future)....Allowing you to concentrate on playing music and not on struggling to play the trumpet. These conversions can be performed on instruments provided by BMBT (Bob Malone’s Brass Technology) or on an instrument which you supply. (now as stated only Yamahas)

These conversions typically consist of:
    • Custom Leadpipe • Annealing of the main tuning slide crook • Annealing of the third slide crook • Annealing and Dynamic Sound Expansion of the bell • A bell ferrule modification, including moveable bell-tail brace • (Bb) an adjustable tuning slide brace • Inspection and adjustment of valve alignment •
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ANNEALING changes the molecular structure of brass. Typically this proprietary BMBT method of annealing enhances the response and resonance characteristics of the instrument.

DYNAMIC SOUND EXPANSION (DSE), a proprietary BMBT process, also changes the molecular structure of brass. Thus, enhancing projection and enlarging the tonal palette available to the player.

When combined, ANNEALING and DYNAMIC SOUND EXPANSION offer increased efficiency, enlarged spectral range, greater dynamic range, projection and response.

*VIDEO VALVE ALIGNMENT with RADIAL ADJUSTMENTS, is another proprietary procedure by Malone allowing you visual proof of your valve port adjustments (before and after)

Malone Trumpet Conversions are available for trumpets in the keys of Bb, C, EbD, EEb and FG. And are currently being played by symphony players and solo artists around the world. (see partial list below)

LEADPIPE and TUNING SLIDE PRODUST LIST

As a result of unique design features and quality construction, all Malone Custom Leadpipes and Tuning Slides offer quick and even response through all register, improved intonation and increased flexibility.

Custom Bb Trumpet Leadpipes:
    MB2 Big Sound, Free-Blowing
    MB2o Broader, more-open version of the MB2
    MB1 Darker and with more concentrated/focused sound than the MB2
    MB1o Broader, more-open version of the MB1
    All Custom Bb Leadpipes can be set-up in a reverse configuration.

Custom C Trumpet Leadpipes
    MC2 Big Sound, Free-Blowing
    MC1 Darker and with a more concentrated/focused sound than the MC2
    MC1o Broader, more-open version of the MC1

These leadpipes are in a reverse configuration and incorporate an innovative over-sleeve. This over-sleeve allows the forward bell-brace to be mounted at the same location as on the standard leadpipe configuration. The top tube of your tuning slide must be replaced to accommodate these leadpipes.

MC2A Clearly defined; note placement with a more-concentrated sound than the MC2. Based on the MC2 in a standard configuration (compatible with the Bach 25A Tuning Slide)

MC2B Combines the advantages of the MC2A, a standard configuration in leadpipe and the MC2 in a reverse configuration leadpipe. The top tube of you tuning slide must be replace with a specially matched top tube to accommodate this leadpipe, or a BMBT Custom Tuning Slide may be purchased.

Custom Bb and C Trumpet Tuning Slides

Available with three different crook shapes: Square (SQ), Half-Round (HR) and Ovate (OV), each crook is available in Medium Large and Large Bore versions.

The SQ crook gives more definition to the sound and produces a denser quality of sound. The OV crook is less resistant, producing a darker but less defined sound than the SQ. The HR crook has the attributes of both the SQ and OV crooks combining good definition and breadth of sound.

Tuning slides made from these crooks can be matched with most existing trumpets/bore sizes. When matched with Malone Custom Leadpipes, Malone Custom Tuning Slides further enhance the performance capabilities of the trumpet, and provide numerous possible combinations of sound and response
    --------------------------------------------

Here are some players using his stuff:

Ole-Edward Antonsen / Larry Black Atlanta Symphony / Mike Buccalo New Orleans Symphony / David Burt / Frank Campos Professor - Ithica College / Edward Carroll - Soloist and Professor Royal Academy of Music, Lake Placid Music Festival / Dai, Zhong-Hui - Principal - Bejing Symphony / Todd Davidson - Professor - Bowling Green University / John DeWitt - Houston Symphony / Ilem Eshed / Robert Frear - Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, L.A. Studios / David Washburn -LA Chamber Orchestra, L.A. Studios / Thomas Stevens / Tim Morrison / Boyde Hood - LA Phil & Professor - USC /
    Rob Roy MacGregor - LA Phil / Jim Thompson - Professor - Eastman College / Ray Mase - Professor - Julliard / Robert Sullivan - New York Philharmonic / Richard Giangiulio / Anthony Plog / Jan Gustavsson / Amy Gilreath / Auto Hornweg- Rotterdam Philharmonic / Dale Marrs -Stuttgart, Germany / Petyer Knudsvig - Germany / Cathy Leach Professor - U of Tennessee / Jens Lindeman - UCLA & Former Canadian Brass / Michael Sachs / Hakan Hardenberger and many more in the Jazz world too

4. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Cool. I have an MC1 and I really like it.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what kind of horn is the pipe on? i got one of these last month and love it! to bad he doesnt put these out any more.

6. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I will concur with dizforprez about Chris Martin and the new Yamaha YTR-9335. I heard it from the same section member and actually saw Chris with it last week at the end of one of his lessons with a college student.

-Joel

7. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Malone leadpipes

I have 2 Bach C trumpets with Malone leadpipes on them. An MC1 and an MC2. The intonation on both is excellent. I also have a Eb/D complete Malone conversion. Everyone who plays my C trumpets wants to buy them from me.

Larry Malin

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Re: Malone leadpipes

what kind of Eb/D is it? how does it play compared to other Eb's and D's?

thanks,

jason

9. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Malone conversions

It's a Bach Eb/D. It's a harder to play than my E3L or the old Yamaha D that I have. These old Bach D's were always hard to play. Notice how no one ever uses them anymore? When I was in music school in the 60's everyone had one.