G Bugles

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Double_G, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, I need to know what are some good G bugle makers and their web addresses. I'm planning on marching in a DCA corps this summer...I've already been excepted the only catch is a I have to purchase my own horn. Help me please.

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
  3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Does Getzen still make valved G's or do they only make the field bugles now?

4. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    i believe they have field bugles and high-quality ones at that...thats what i would get if i were to get a field g bugle

5. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    They have got to be valved though. I can't march a field bugle. I need a valved G Bugle. I think I'll look at the Kanstul horns. Has anyone had any experience with the Kanstul Powerbore or the Standard Soprano Bugle made by Kanstul?

6. elExtranjero

elExtranjero New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
  7. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Thanks that site was very helpful.

8. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    You're only choice should be the KANSTUL. They are made in America, high quality.

The Dynasty bugles are inferior quality, made in Brazil. It will be in pieces when it arrives from the factory, and will last you about three years. It's cheaper though.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I have a Kanstul "G" 3-valve Fluegelhorn / "Bugle" (looks like a Fluegelhorn with horizontal slides, only about 10% larger in size, compared to a Bb Fluegelhorn).

It's silver, with 3 water-keys ... has a Trumpet receiver, so a standard Trumpet mouthpiece will work; however, I opted to have Dick Akright fabricate a custom mouthpiece for me, based on a Parduba #8 double-cup. This mpc enables a substantial range, especially in the lower-register. What a remarkable tone!

Robert Rowe

10. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    The US Marines "Commandant's Own" Drum & Bugle Corps has chosen Kanstul G bugles. So has the US Naval Academy. If I might relate a personal observation, last week at the Kingsmen Alumni brass rehearsal I didn't see one Dynasty bugle; they were all Kanstul and vintage Olds or King.

Kanstul bugles (and the Zig Kanstul-designed Olds and Kings that came before them) are considered the best available. Made in America and built for performance.

Regards,