Gabriel's Oboe - Multitrack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Aug 6, 2010.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Hey guys,

I made my first ever multi track today and I though I'd share it here. Bare in mind it was my first one and it was difficult trying to line everything up correctly =P

There are 4 background parts (written for 5 but one was too low for me to play), and one solo part. I did not arrange this, you can download it at Jackshoeys Music Page

VIDEO: YouTube - ‪Gabriel's Oboe - Trumpet Multitrack‬‎

Let me know what you think and how I can improve. The biggest thing I noticed was my poor breathing and that I have to hold notes for the full value (especially in a song like this).

Thanks,
    Andrew

rettepnoj likes this.
  2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    It sounds awesome to me

3. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I like your sound! Maybe a little fast tempo!

5. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks :) Yeah, I had my metronome at 100 and it should probably be played at 80ish, woops!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Multitrack is fun!

I think you did a fine job. The challenge for "popular" music is finding the right role model. Most renditions are by asthmatic pop stars that know NOTHING about phrasing. Their ability to create a musical line never existed. I think that you have the breathing to play with better phrasing, don't let up after 2 bars, really carry the phrase out.

I think you should put breathing marks on your part and use them. Part of your "breathing issues" is that you breathe when you HAVE to instead of when you should.

Finally, I personally think that if you already notice the breathing issues and holding notes out, that perhaps you should make adjustments before posting to youtube. The accompaniment parts were WAY below the solo trumpet in quality. A couple of retakes would have solved that too. What you put out into the world carries YOUR signature. Make sure that YOUR signature always shows its best side!

Still a very fine performance from a young and upcoming trumpet player!

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Yes, finding the phrasing and the line, and shaping each note is what makes the difference between a good technical player and a musician.

The multitracking is always fun.
    This was my online Christmas card last year, but its not all trumpet, I decided to play all the different instruments (as best as I could).

YouTube - ‪The One Man Brass Band‬‎

8. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    That's very cool! Unfortunately, my skills only reach as far as trumpet, but that would be cool to do in the future. :play:

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll find some time to go through my music and find appropriate times to breath. The problems are mostly in the background parts because it's mostly half and whole notes without a lot of rests. I'll make a new video soon and keep you guys updated. Thanks, that means a lot coming from you :)

PS - Heh, asthmatic pop stars!

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    abtrumpet, either you are playing a very rare left-handed trumpet or the photo is reversed! Otherwise, nice playing. Keep it up.That multi-track effort means you need to be very proficient on both the trumpet and the computer. That's tough (except for Nordlandstrompet).

10. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Reversed, and thanks :)

And yes, I'll admit to being a computer geek :cool: