Gabriel's Trumpet Just Got Here

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Still Trying, May 28, 2004.

1. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Well, folks,

Gabriel's Trumpet, my new medium red Eclipse in scratch silver with gold high lights arrived at my house about 2 hours ago. I assure you, pictures can't come close to showing how beautiful the horn is in reality. I had to leave work to check it out, but then come right back. And I haven't had a chance to really play test it. I took time to play Arban's first characteristic study and a couple of ballads to get a very preliminary feel for it. I'll post a review of the horn after I've gotten to play it some more.

I can already tell the tone is as rich as Noel and Bruce Lee described it. It makes you get mental images of yourself playing sultry jazz solos, lights dimmed, an elegant dinner theater maybe, and finely dressed ladies and gentlemen hanging on every note you play. But the sound is also just as appropriate for any legit scenario you can imagine. Mostly you just see yourself playing the horn without ever having to put it down.

I can also already see what they were talking about with the slotting too. It's going to take a few days to get used to it-a few very happy days. I was also kind of worried about the horn blowing too freely, because I've always played horns with square tuning slides, not round ones. But the resistance in the horn seems just perfect.

If you haven't seen Leigh's work up close, you just can't apprecaite what an artist he really is. The crucifix he made me in addition to the trumpet produced an unanimous "AHHHHHHHH" from everyone in the room, when we unwrapped it. It is humbling to own something that beautiful.

One more time, Leigh, all I can say is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...

Jesse

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It only gets better, Jesse. Wait until you get that horn out into the world where others can see/hear it! I've had mine almost a month now and last night I had another guy (tenor sax no less) come from the other side of the bandroom to say "WOW"!

Nobody has seen the Eterna cornet that Leigh did yet: I'm waiting for the doubler case (301VAX) to arrive first. I want to hit them with both horns at the same time (and we've got a couple of nice cornet pieces in our summer band schedule......)

I can't wait to read your comments after a month or two. I think you'll agree that the Medium Red is THE ultimate weapon for the "average" player to use in a variety of situations (hey... I'm not saying that YOU are "average"... but I think you know what I mean). Congrats again on your entry, your win, AND your prize.

3. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Hi Jesse
    That is a beautiful instrument you have! I hope you enjoy playing it!
    Love the extras Leigh made for you. Both Leigh and Bruce are two of the most genuine people I have met in music.
    Enjoy!
    Alan

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Jesse, any chance of some sound-clips?

5. Still Trying

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Jack,

I really don't how to do the sound clip thing. I don't even know how to get pictures posted. But in any case I would have to have a few days to get used to the horn, before I would want any body on here to hear me play. I feel pretty secure that I'm one of those players in the big crowded middle of the pecking order of skill represented on this forum. And for those other guys in the middle or bottom, I have no problem playing. However, I still get nervous, when I play around someone, whose butt I know I wouldn't be a pimple on, and there are several of those also on this forum.

There are several other posters on here, who are similarly blessed with a medium red, however. Bruce Lee has quite a selection of different bell types at his place. I know, because he played several of them for me over the phone, when I was trying to make up my mind about a bell type. Maybe we can talk Bruce into demonstrating several of them on-line some how. I also think, but I'm not sure so don't try to make either Leigh or Noel make good on this, that there has been some talk of having Noel post sound bites of the various bell types and sizes on the Eclipse web site. I do not know what that would entail, or if it is practical. I hope this becomes a reality some time in the future.

6. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi Jesse,

You are so right about the SOUND! I have always gotten the same feedback when playing White Lightning. I played my Eclipse at church for Easter Sunday and you could have heard a pin drop, except for the sound of the horn of course. :wink: Everyone present sat upright when they heard the sound of the horn. It is a very special thing.

And Gabriel's Trumpet is indeed a "gift", which proves something I have frequently said to many people..."Patience is a virtue, and good things DO come to those who wait"...upon the Lord.

An exceptional group of people (Leigh MacKinney and the gang), represented by a great person (Bruce Lee), have made a phenomenal horn (Gabriel's Trumpet), for an extremely deserving "horn tooter", (YOU).

After seeing your horn, I'm willing to bet that more than a "few" people are more than a little impatient for the next contest to start. :D

All the best.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Jesse, I completely understand your apprehension about playing 'infront of' some of the players that come here! The reason I ask you is that that horn looks so nice, I'd like to hear the sound that comes with it. Also, I'm curious as to how the finish affects the sound.

I would definitely like to hear Noel playing the various Eclipse models - as I'm sure you know, he's a fantastic player - I think that would be relatively easy to do, provided someone has some recording equipment.

I certainly wouldn't mind taking part in another Eclipse contest, though I think Leigh's got more than enough on his plate at the moment!

Jack.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    Still Trying:
    what did you play before?
    are you using the same mouthpiece?
    perhaps a different mpc would better suit the new axe?

9. Still Trying

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Hello, James,

I've been playing a Kanstul built French Besson Classic the last couple of years. Before that I was playing an OLds Recording that my Dad bought me way back in 1959. Both are finr trumpets, but can't compare with the Eclipse. It's just difficult to describe, but it's in a class all by itself.

I am going to experiment with a couple of different mouthpieces, (that vary just slightly from what I am using) just to see if anything clicks better than what I am playing (GR 66***). However, I love the sound I am getting right now so I don't want to make any changes that affect my tone too much.

Jack,

I understand your question about the sound of the med red in silver. I think Bruce has one ordered and/or on the way from Leigh. Bruce can probably post sound clips now, if he wants to. I suspect he has the technical expertise. My Olds Recording has a rose brass bell, which is probably comparable to the red brass of the Eclipse. The Recording is virtually raw brass right now, but it started life as a clear lacquered trumpet. But the Eclipse seems to produce more overtones because the sound is "bigger" than that I get on the Olds. One does find himself holding the horn at arm's length and looking at it now and then, because he has to reassure himself he is still and actually playing a trumpet. In the mid and low range, it almost sounds on the flugal horn side of a trumpet. The sound is SOOOOOO mellow, and pleasing. But it's still every inch a trumpet, and would fit in any where. I guess I really am just fishing for ways to describe, what really has to be experienced.

And I'm still just getting accustomed to the horn. I'm going to let a couple of guys I know try out the trumpet, but there's no way they can play it for a few minutes and really appreciate what it will do. It has new surprises every time I play it. I promise you though, it's not all hype and over promotion. This horn rocks!!! My wife is being very patient with me right now, because every time I walk past the horn, I just have to pick it up and start practicing on something.