Gabriel's Trumpet made its public performance debut

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Still Trying, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Recently I discovered that an organization called Bugles Across America, or something like that, was soliciting trumpet players to participate in the playing of Taps on Memorial Day to honor our war dead and veterans. I never got around to filling out any paper work or joining the group formally, but considering the activity a most worthy endeavor, I decided to participate.

At 3 PM yesterday afternoon, I marched to a central location in our apartment complex, pointed my horn at the merry makers down by the complex swimming pool/bar-b-que area, and serenaded them with Taps. It wasn't because of the excellence of the trumpeter, but rather because of the excellence of the trumpet, Taps never sounded more beautiful (according to feed back from some of the listeners). But regardless of the quality of the music, for a few brief moments, everyone within hearing was reminded of the reason for the holiday. I've decided playing taps on Memorial Day is going to be a personal tradition from now on. I wish someone had given me the idea a long time ago.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Our program here in Kentuckiana got rained out. I sure do wish I would have thought to have done the solo routine like you. Thanks for the idea and thanks for being brave enough to do it. Next year, I'll play too.

Can you see trumpeters from all across this great nation get together to play Taps at the same time. I think it would be great - one big sound carried across this great land.

Pass the word. Let's see if we can get this done.

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Jesse,

Isn't it a great feeling knowing that you touched people with such a simple song? I know when I played Taps the other day there were more than a few veterans at the ceremony and it was the greatest feeling knowing I could give them something special to remember. I recently joined the local VFW here and will be volunteering to play Taps if the occasion comes up. Thanks for your personal tribute to my fellow soldiers, past and present. Thanks to everyone else who played Taps this Memorial Day as well.

I would also like to mention that Gary was brought out of the desert just to play Taps at Normandy in front of thousands on June 6, the D-Day anniversary. Wish I was going with him, but my wife is due to have our first baby any day now.

4. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Mike,

Indeed, Taps is one melody with which everyone is familiar. I consider it an honor to have been able to play it. I've been wondering how to make myself available to play at military funerals, if needed. You have given me a clue by mentioning the VFW. Thanks.

I think we are all justly proud of Gary. If the ceremony is televised, maybe we can all hear him on June 6th?

5. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    I'm in

This would not be hard to do, creating a network of trumpeters perhaps even put up a web site to discuss, something like www.tapsacrossamerica.org

But I could see, next year 10,000 tumpeters across the states and wherever our troops are overseas, playing TAPS to remember all who paid the ultimate price. All of them synchronized for time zones. I'm gettin all excited just thinking about it!
    I'll be TM moderators would be willing to put up a Forum for this.

I personally will be playing Taps as my first public music performance in almost 30 years, next Saturday night at a private memorial service.

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Since someone of importance will be there, I'm sure they will show bits of it on CNN Jesse.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I don't know much about this, but I think http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org is exactly the sort of organisation you're thinking of.

Hope that helps,

Jack.