gah...sightreading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haley2011, Nov 12, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I watched a master class online that Vincent DiMartino was giving on the subject. His advice is to read sounds, not notes. Kind of like learning to think as well as speak in another language makes you able to read that language and understand it faster.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Kind of a pattern recognition thing? Sometimes my trouble is with "hearing" the intervals, sometimes it's with counting and playing at the same time. These are most likely just something that comes over time and practice. BUT, I do understand that recognizing a familiar pattern would make it easier. Build up enough patterns, and you'll only have the occasional phrase that's "totally" unfamiliar/new.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Sightreading is a pain!!
    However, here's some things that help me.
    Before I pick up my horn I look over the music and check:
    Key signature
    Tempo
    Accidentals (which I'll mark with RED pencil)
    Time changes (which I'll mark in RED pencil)
    Key changes (which I'll mark in RED pencil)
    When I say red pencil, I make a little mark. Why? because I can see the color( ex. key change) coming up before I get to it.
    Then I look at the piece and pretend fingering as I hum the part.
    Then I pick up my horn and play.
    Go slow and DO NOT STOP until you get to the end of the piece.
    The problem areas should be lightly circled or marked and worked on.
    When you read, you'll learn to see what's coming up before you play it.
    Last thing. Get with someone who can sight read better than you and have contests to see who can do better.

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Sightreading is fun! More suggestions: Try to music specific to other instruments, alto saxophone, clarinet, flute, violin. Also, duets are a great way to work on sight reading.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It is most definitely pattern recognition, just like reading written words. The reason mixed case is easier to read than all upper case is that words have familiar patterns which we learn in lower or mixed case so that as we become proficient we are not actually reading the letters but the patterns.
    Music is all patterns, where it be rhythm or arpeggios or runs or chords. The accomplished pianist playing new music is able to proceed at tempo because (s)he is reading the patterns and not the notes.

v

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Like Nike says, "Just Do It". Get a Hymn book from church and plow throught it, download as much free (public domain) music from the internet as possible and plow throught it. Etc, etc.

Joining a well-establishes Community Band helped me a lot. I had to sight-read dozens of tunes that the rest of the group had been playing for years. Needless to say I HAD to get better "or else".

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Haley:

Yes, join a pit orchestra. Nothing will get your sight reading skills up to speed faster, IME.

Greg

8. Haley2011

Haley2011 New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    thanks for the suggestions...now i really think the root of the problem is just trying to learn rythms...i missed out on a beginning band program and so now that i am older and have more areas to compete in (all-region, all-state, symphony auditions) i have realized how much i lack in this area. of course, i know the basics (whole notes, half notes, quater, eighth notes) but the more complex rythms always trip me up in the sightreading section of auditions. Any suggestions for learning just plain rythms?

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Always know where the beat is. And feel it. Listen to some music with a good beat (it doesn't matter what genre you are practicing for or what you are listening to, so long as you can feel it)
    Play rhythms (all kinds) over a steady beat - not fast, but at a tempo you can control, and then work them up

10. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    Wish I could give you less bogus advice, but the only way to learn to sight read good is practice practice practice. To help you go online and look up "trumpet music" look for some songs you never heard of, or get a book with a few and play em'. Also watch that key signurature! That will throw you off! good luck!