gah...sightreading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haley2011, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Yup, one problem I have is the group I play with is an alumni drum and bugle corps, and it seems like everything we play is fast, fast, fast, and even when we site read - it's still very quick. Then add they key of G, where I'm always questioning pitch, and being the worst site reader of the group . . . it's hard to keep up - except with the slower chorals/slower pieces.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    HSOtrumpet1 sez:
    "Vince DiMartino's advice is to read sounds, not notes"
    ------
    Thanks sooooo much for this pearl of info.
    I've never thought of approaching sightreading in this fashion! While I can sightread fairly well, I don't like it very much. By changing my thinking, I might be able to see sightreading as fun and not a pain in the assterik.

3. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    there is a fellow in south GA that has a sightreading program...i met him at a high school band festival last month..
    [email protected]

he said even a drummer could understand it......

4. Haley2011

Haley2011 New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    he said even a drummer could understand it......[/quote]ROFL

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Unfortunately there are no short cuts or quick fixes for this one. I get that you're behind the curve, but there's no method that's going to get you sight-reading at an advanced pace.

If tempo is an issue then practice simple stuff with a metronome at an accelerated tempo, but you just have to start playing lots of different things aspractice.

I agree that the pitch thing with G bugles is a pain...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Our brain works with patterns. Scales and intervals are the basic building blocks. If your sight reading stinks, so do your basics.

You do not learn how to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool. You learn by repetitions where the water is not deep.

Build those basics. At the same time get a Hymnbook and start playing all of those tunes. HUNDREDS of common patterns musically arranged.

Intelligent practice starts with a mighty foundation.

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    How well I know it, I'm working on the foundations daily, but of course when I get to a rehearsal and they pull out something new . . . well, I'm not here to whine, I was simply making an observation.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yes, I definitely agree with Vince DiMartino's advice. There is a book published by Charles Colin, written by Roger Voisin. It's titled "Develop Sight-Reading." It's great because it is filled with melodies that change keys on a whim, as well as rhtyhms that look one way but really are not what you'd expect. Anything that keeps your mind sharp and on the edge will improve sight-reading.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've got that Voisin book, and it's terrific, but it might well be too advanced for someone who feels they have no sightreading skills.

I'd suggest to everybody to buy the Voisin book, but also to get some other materials:
    The Complete Sight Reading Etude Collection for Trumpet by Mark Ponzo, published by Balquhidder Music is a book which is easier than the Voisin book, but still quite challenging in spots.

And if that's not easy enough (many who lack sight-reading skills really do need to build up the basics) there are the 3 volumes of the "Tunes for Cornet Technic" books which are part of the Student Instrumental Course, originally published by Belwin then eventually published by Warner Brothers and these days published by Alfred. And one other book which might help is Eric Bolvin's Really Big Student Song Book, available through this web page ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: TONGUE LEVEL & AIR.

Hymnbooks are great, as are the many fake books published by Hal Leonard, especially the Folk Song Fake Book and the Fake Book of the World's Favorite Songs. Sometimes it helps people who are weak readers to play songs they know to develop the coordination of printed-notes with the sounds, then they can progress to playing songs they don't know and will recognize the same patterns in a different sequence, then they can advance to the books such as Ponzo's and Voisin's which often make no real musical sense, which is often what a member of an ensemble has to play, such as most 3rd cornet parts in a band and quite often 2nd and even 1st trumpet parts in an orchestra.