Gaining confidence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In addition to the above post I would recommend a good teacher. Confidence comes from experiencing success on the horn. There is nothing klike a good teacher telling you"that sounded great" to help you gain confidence.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and to build confidence -- one should always play withing their limitations of the skills they have managed to develop. Just because I or someone, or whoever has X high note that they can "sometimes" play, or a speed they can somtimes articulate well, means that they are probably NOT ready for that in a performance -- but if you play proficiently at the level you have mastered then confidence will surely follow!!!!!!!!!! IMHO --- yup, last year, I would have liked to rip off some high notes up to High A for a fundraiser -----WOULD THE AUDIENCE at a talent show/ fundraiser - have objected if I had cracked the high A, or squeaked it?????? probably not, but would I HAVE ERODED MY OWN CONFIDENCE IN DOING A SQUEAK OR A CRACKED note -----Absolutely..................I wasn't ready for that --- so notes lower, that I had mastered were all that I put in my repertoire ----and confidently played what I know I could play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    On some occasions, I really feel good about what I played. But, almost always, I walk away thinking that I could have done better. We are our worst critic. Sometimes I am asked asked to fill in for a " Tower of Power " type horn section here locally. I kid with the trombone and saxes that the audience has no earthly idea if we mess up ( talk about confidence ( no stress )). Cs..Ds...and Es are all open anyway....pick a note...any note.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is especially true on a vintage Martin Committee, you just play and the horn seems to find the right note... The magic flute of trumpets. So Chuck, you and I are blessed in this way.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Pat, deduced from how the OP lists his/her instruments, I'm assuming he/she is still in high school band.

We had a girl in our high school band who we nicknamed "Squeaky" only because she had this almost silent squeaky voice in grade school. In our high school band she played flute, piccolo and piano, but it was when she sang her first solo, no one ever called her "Squeaky" anymore. She went on to college and became a hospital dietician, but was struck by a hospital ambulance and lost a leg. The hospital put her on full pay retirement and lifetime medical care. I stayed in her home briefly just recently and could hear her play the piano and sing. While she has chair lifts on the stairs of her house, and a specially adapted vehicle, she manages very well with the prosthetic leg.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ok hhs....let's bring it home now. Back to the point after hearing Gmonady and I kid around ( we're in our 50's ) and the "Squeaky" thing. Let us not digress further. I'll go back 35 years when I had your feelings of gaining confidence. The trumpet is the hardest instrument in the band. The fact that you play it in band in high school is fantastic. You have my sincere respect. Not a lot of people will rush up to you to shake your hand or pat your back after you play. I'll tell you what Tim Matthews ( sax w/Count Basies Band) told me. Make EVERY note count. The rests are just as important as the beat. Be humble. Practice your tone. You can't buy tone. Remember that your mother will always love you even if the audience doesn't. And......one last thing.....you should always start the song at the top left of the sheet and finish at the bottom right corner ( how you sound getting there is up to you ). Chill out.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Chuck, I'll concur that TONE is the prime objective and RESTS are just as important as the notes. But NOT all songs end at the bottom right of the sheet vis DC al fine.

IMO Practice is the pathway to proficiency. For the OP, I could suggest a big mirror in front beyond the music stand while he/she practices.

8. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    To me this problem has nothing to do with practicing, or even the trumpet for that matter. Its all about attitude. You just have to tell yourself that you are the s*&t (the only way to describe it) and that you are better than everyone else going in for that audition. Another thing you can do it just not care. You have to tell yourself that the results of that audition, while it would be great if they were positive, don't matter. Lastly just convince yourself that you are the only one auditioning, or, that it doesn't matter if anyone else auditions because the spot is already yours. A lot of this sounds rather callous I know, but that's the attitude you have to have.

My sister recently applied for and was interviewed for a job as a chemist. She ended up getting the position, but it hadn't even occurred to her that anyone else was even applying. The thought that there was competition never crossed her mind because she knew that the position would be hers.