Game of Fifths

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stewmuse, May 24, 2004.

1. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    "Game of Fifths" is a piece for solo trumpet in C, plus 4 Bb trumpets and 2 flugelhorns. It was my entry into this year's ITG composition contest but it was NOT chosen as a winner (just a clerical error, I'm sure!!!). Anyway, I've been making some recordings in my basement and have put up 3 excerpts (MP3 files) from this eight minute work on the StewMuse Publications site. You can listen to them at:

http://www.stewmuse.com/MP3.html :D

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Interesting piece. A bit unusual in orchestration - 1 C, 4 Bb and 2 flugels? Not overly common.

M&C

3. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Game

Yes -
    ...unusual inst but the contest simply specified solo + at least 4, with no restrictions as to horn type. Do you believe there is a "standard" trumpet ensemble configuration? Just curious...

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Re: Game

Well, with those contest rules, it was a good selection.

A trumpet trio or quartet would seem more likely to be available. Or even the "cornets, etc." from a brass band"

4 Solo Cornets (Bb)
    1 Soprano Cornet (Eb)
    1 Repiano Cornet (Bb)
    2 2nd Cornets (Bb)
    2 3rd Cornets (Bb)
    1 Flugel Horn

I have written some music. I have notice one thing in particular. When I write for commonly gathered groups, my music is played more. But contest rules will be contest rules.

M&C

5. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hey Michael,

I went your sight. I thought the piece was awesome. I like the sound of it and the modern classical harmony. I'm thinking of buying it. I don't know that many palyers to perform it with, but I like to record myself and that would be fun. I would think you could put other voices on it as well instead of the 5 trumpets and two Flugels.

6. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Thanks, Joe(?) -
    Yes, you probably could change some of the instrumentation - assuming you mean other Bbs or Cs for the flugels. It'd be neatto hear what you come up with... :)