Gap adjustment

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetpimp, Mar 9, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Leigh,

I was just wondering, since your horns are custom made for each individual do you reccomend having the gap adjusted straight from the shop for a specific mouthpiece brand? I have switched to GR pieces excluseivly so I was wondering if you thought it would be wise to have a horn adjusted for these. Gary writes some pretty specific numbers here http://www.grmouthpieces.com/questions3.htm

What do you think?

An aside: Does anyone have any ideas for customizing a horn? The only thing I can come up with is that I want satin silver with polished accents and a thumb ring instead of a saddle. Anyone else have any cool ideas?

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    trumpetpimp,

Re: GAP/GR mouthpieces... A picture is worth a thousand words. :wink:

[​IMG]

Just east of the valve buttons... Yep, GR's! Gotcha covered! :D

Best always,
    Bruce

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another mouthpiece maker that enables you to "tweek" with the "all-important gap" is Bob Reeves. When you order a mp through him, just specify that you want it "cut for sleeves" and order yourself a set of sleeves. I think there are 4-6 different sleeves you can order.

The Reeves pieces that I have are:

-42 C (my "all-around/practice" mp)
    -42 B (Deep cup, dark jazz and "legit" mp)
    --42 SV69 (Screeeeeeeams.)

All are gold plated, screw rim, and are cut for sleeves. I play on a Bach, and I've found the 3.5 sleeve works best for me. So does practicing.

--Kevin