Gap year programs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Dec 29, 2013.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone,

I'm a senior in highschool in Spain. I have been studying the trumpet since I was 7 years old and I have always liked it very much but I still don't know if I want to be a professional musician. That is why I'm considering taking a gap year to find it out. My parents totally support me and I have been looking for options for next year (as this year I will finish highschool).

I would like to do this Gap year outside Spain to improve my English and to know more about other cultures. I know most of you are american or english, do you know any programs in music colleges or conservatories that would be interesting for me to look at? I have always studied classical music but I also have interest for jazz and improvisation (although my level at those two aspects is very low).

Thank you very much for those of you who help in this community, I must say that this forum has been very helpful for me in a lot of different topics!!

J

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, just!

The answer is complicated. Depending on when you turn 18 there are student exchange programs that can provide you with year of American High School experience. Some of the programs are real good at matching students with host parents in areas that can meet the wishes of the students. I used to represent one called Amicus when I lived in Germany.

If you want a university experience, you will probably find that many of the exchange programs colleges offer only can be used your third year of college.

Perhaps there are some organizations in Spain that sponsor gap years.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Try and get into the European Union Erasmus programme, and then go to Ireland. When there, contact the Royal Irish Academy of Music and their trumpet tutors Shaun Hook or Eamonn Nolan.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I am NOT suggesting abandoning your first priority of studying outside your native land - there's nothing like being immersed in another culture in its native environment - but as something to consider if other plans don't work out like you want . . . are you aware of the new Berklee College of Music campus in Valencia, and its unique programs?

Many of the faculty and students are English speakers, and the program has one feature you might find interesting - its International Career Center.

Berklee Valencia:
    Berklee Valencia - BERKLEE | Berklee College of Music

International Career Center:
    International Career Center | Music Career Management | Berklee Valencia

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM. Nothing to add concerning your Gap Year ambitions, but best wishes in your pursuit of them!
    Jim

6. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Thank you very much but I believe that the Erasmus programme is only for university students and I plan to do this before I go to university.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I will stand to be corrected here but I think you might have difficulty finding a programme unless you are in the middle of a dedicated music programme (ie a degree or similar). It may be that you have to find other work and gig with bands to survive. It's a great idea but I've never heard of a programme such as you are wanting outside of a Uni. I'm not trying to rain on your parade and I hope you can find something but I honestly have my doubts.

Best of luck

A

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    just,

I became aware of this program in my community yesterday as I was looking into options for violin study for my granddaughter: Community Arts Academy: Private Music Instruction - IPFW. It may provide sufficient flexibility for you to achieve your Gap Year goals. You also would have several options for taking some U.S. freshman level college courses, including the community college where I teach.

Jim

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Riffing off of this, many universities have summer programs. I'm not pushing Berklee, but they have a five-week program especially designed for students between their high school graduation and their entering Freshman year. Again, this would be a compromise but still, an option.

Five-Week Summer Performance | Berklee College of Music

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I never thought of summer programmes my mind was on gap year ideas, nice one K