Geetar Hero!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John P, Jan 2, 2008.

1. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Hey Folks,

So I got Guitar Hero III for Christmas and have been playing it pretty frequently since then. Call me crazy, but I feel like it's had a positive effect on me musically. Now, before y'all jump on me, I'm not talking about phrasing here. This is purely a focus/sight reading thing.

For those of you who don't know how the game works, different-colored discs move towards the player along an imaginary fret board. When these discs get to the bottom of the fret board, the player must push down the corresponding key with the left hand and simultaneously hit the "strum" button with the right hand. If one misses notes, the imaginary guitar makes an awful chipping sound and the imaginary crowd boos. It's far from actually playing a guitar, but it's a ton of fun.

So the topic I'd like to pose for discussion is: Is Guitar Hero beneficial for musicians by helping one develop a greater sense of focus? Or is it just wasted time that would be better spent on the horn? ...Discuss!

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    My sister play guitar hero alot. She says even though it's not really playing the guitar, it makes her happy when she does well. If it's fun, play it. But, don't forget that trumpet to. Enjoy

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Probably not...but then again hand/eye coordination might help sight reading in a way. Maybe?
    If the discs come at a certain tempo, it might be good for rhythm too! :cool:
    I dunno, don't have much time to play games with all my schoolwork...maybe when I get to college next year?
    -Andrew

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
  5. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    I find that guitar hero is very similar to sight reading, and good for learning rhythmic accuracy. every time i play i try to figure out the time signiature and it always helps once you realize that each fret coming at you is an eighth note, and then they throw triplets at you and all that fun stuff. i cant play without tapping my foot and once i get the melody or the chorus in my head i count along with it out loud...you know....the stuff you can't do when blowing through a trumpet haha!

6. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    i play it, its A LOT of fun but other than improving hand eye coordination i dont think it does much. It might be good with helping concentration, but for me, i just get put in a trance by all the bright flashing lights and i just zone out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  7. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I'm the opposite, if I zone out at all I start missing left and right. Since I started playing the game, I've gotten a fair bit better at finding my "zone" faster and staying in it longer. It's a really similar emotion to trumpet playing for me.

P.S. I love the way everything you stare at moves for a while after you've been playing for too long.