General 'what to do in practice' question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey,

Just wanted to clarify something.

My range is from low F# (Pedal F I am working on... note comes out, pretty horrid sounding) up to top line F. I can get the G out above that, but, if I do that twice, I cant do it anymore.

Now, I practice for 25min, scales, arbans, some songs to learn as you play, etc.

Now - after the 25 min... I take a break for 25min and then go back to it for another 25min. After the break however... If I try to play any song... none of my top space E or F notes will come out, the front of my mouth is all red.

Do I keep playing on the lower notes that I can comfortably play OR am I supposed to only practice while I can hit my top notes, and once they become wrecked... stop playing?

Also, why am I able to play as long as I dont stop, but after my break, when I come back to it, its like everything has fallen apart?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What is your starting note when warming up?

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I generally play the 2nd line G, down to C back to G then down to Low G back to 2nd line G and then I get the warmup excercises of Plog.
    Baically these..

http://d29ci68ykuu27r.cloudfront.net/product/Look-Inside/large/5098091_01.jpg

I do 1A (the first one bar) then I do the corresponding one on right hand side of that.
    Then I go down a few to 1B, do that bar then the corresponding one on right hand side...
    Then 1C (and the one on right hand side) and then 1D which goes to top line F and one on right hand side.

Then I go onto other stuff.

My first 25min is ok. But after my 25min break, I can forget playing these when I come back to it. Its like the '25 min break' made it bad.

Understandably, I only had 4 lessons with my teacher so far. So I been practicing faithfully for '4' weeks even though I played for longer than that in general (bad habits etc). I am just not sure how 'quick' endurance is meant to happen. Like am I meant to be able to play longer each week by a bit or am I gonna feel like im not moving anywhere for a few months before I'm able to just play one thing and then the next and next and next without feeling stuck?

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Be sure you are doing some lip slurs, and arpeggios with the other, but don't overdo. They will tire you quickly, but really help build endurance. When you exhaust your higher range, move to lower stuff, including some fun music- if you don't have some fun, then why bother. On your second rehearsal period, be careful not to overuse pressure- common when chops get tired and you are loosing range. Also, you might want to put a little more rest time in between exercises during a practice time.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I do Slurs from Claude Gordons Physical trumpet approach - Lesson 16.

I do that after I did those Plog exercises, then I go onto Arbans First Studies Exercises 12-21. 25 min over before I finish all that.

Then I take my break, then I try to play the Folk Song Blues from the AMEB workbook and forget it. Just does not happen.

Am I expecting too much in too short a time or will it 'eventually' feel like im getting somewhere after a few months? That is more or less what I am concerned with. Dont want to feel like "Ahhh stuff it, 4 weeks, and still cant do 2 sessions normal" as though "I was supposed to be able to" if I wasn't. Just want to know if this is normal or is something wrong with me more or less.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I started out and still use Walter Moecks warm up routine. Personally do not like what I see you using as a warm up for a new player. It seems too advanced to me. Red lips makes me think too much pressure. How long have you been playing trumpet. May just need to exercise some patience. That is not a beginners warm up IMO.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You might want to increase your recovery time, say 50 minutes as opposed to 25, and you may wish to shorten your first session. As we gain endurance our recovery time gets shorter. Your second half you may wish to work on scales, slurred at first with frequent rests. Ideally, when working endurance we can feel a tingly feeling in our lips, which results from expanding capillaries. Maurice Andre used to do a 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off approach (of course over a number of hours.)

Good luck!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is so much that could be going on here. Really I shouldn't try to put ideas in your head, but I have had a couple of students make similar decisions and end up with similar problems.

When we focus on pedal notes BEFORE being able to play in a balanced way (c above the staff is not hard and should be there), there is a lot that we can do wrong: for instance we can keep the lips too far apart to be able to play high. We also do not need the breath control when only pointed down.

My suggestion is to dump the pedal notes for a while and check out my Circle of Breath and get lipslurs like from the Earl Irons lip flexibility book. No Revolution, just Evolution. Higher notes need a bit of compression between the lips synchronized to very good breathing habits. You will not learn that "relaxed" compression with pedal notes.

I am not saying that pedal notes are bad, I am just saying that your description sounds typical of unmonitored practice habits.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, Tobylou, I studied under Moeck for a number of years, but that was long long ago. What was his warm up routine? I remember we would play a passage and then rest. Play a passage and then rest. etc. Since I was paying I remember always concerned we were resting too much :).

In reference to the original poster, I agree with Vulgano Brother that your routine is probably too advanced for where you are at this point in your playing. Take more rests and ease up on some of the technical stuff.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gxman,
    I have to agree with rowuk on this one. So many thing could be going on. Regardless of your practice routine, what good is it if you are doing it wrong? What makes me say this? You can only play up to F# in the staff and if you have to do it for any period of time you fizzle out? Oy!!
    My suggestion? Find a person that can teach you how to play correctly. If you like rural and there's no one, get a skype lesson from someone reputable. Not to put too fine of a point on it but, all the king's horses and all the king's men will not make you a better player if you are chock full of bad habits.
    Dr.Mark