German trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, May 17, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Today i visited a friend of the family's with a couple of old trumpets belonging to her late husband. As it turned out he was an excellent german trumpet player during the 1960s who played with Orchestras such as the Vancouver. He has left behind a couple of trumpets that i think are excellent, but i don't have any info on. She could do with a valuation, for insurance purposes and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

The first on is a F.A. Heckel rotary valve piccolo. It is a beuatiful blow , and considering it was made around the 50s/60s is superb. It is marked
    Inh.
    Arno Windisch
    Instrumentenbaumst
    Dresden

The second one is a C/D trumpet
    It is marked Angefertigt
    von
    Jos.Monke
    in
    Kolne
    a/Rh
    As i didn't get to blow this one i estimated the key of this one. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

B.U.M.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Heckel and Windisch were two different makers. By Heckel, do you mean with the Granz, that extra bit of metal at the end of the bell? "Inh." would mean Inhaber, which might imply that Windisch took over for Heckel. At any rate, first class.

As to the C/D, the marking means simply "(made)/finished by Jos. Monke in Koln on the Rhine." Monke took over the tradition of the famous Schmidt trumpets and is still a huge favorite for rotary trumpets. If it looks like a smaller Bb it is probably in C, if the bell seems longer it might be a D (depending on how old it is). Great blow, great sound, used in many if not most German orchestras.

If she doesn't want them, I'll pay shipping and promise to play them!

3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    The bell of the Heckel from my recollection has only one piece and the Monke has got normal valves. I found the build quality of the Monke superb! Certainly better than my Holton, or Bach. I suspect that it would be a real whopper of a trumpet if it had a overhaul. Due to their sentimental value, neither of them will never be sold or possibly played again. For me it made my day seeing them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Windisch did take over from Heckel, but the instruments were inferior to the masters own. Heckel piccs back then were much easier than the D trumpets, but very "stiff" by todays standards. The real market for shifting the Heckel is in Japan. The collectors pay top dollar - the horns are never played after that! I have a decent Windisch Eb trumpet.

The Monke with piston valves was called a "jazz" trumpet and no respectable classical player would have been caught dead with it. I was offered one in great shape recently, didn't take it but it got sold for about 500 euros.

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Thanks gentlemen for your help :)