Get that practice room together

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a son that has ADS. In the mean time he has more or less grown out of it, but his therapist worked with us to help him make his life easier. Many of the lessons learned apply to our environment when practicing!

Get all distractions (including family)out of eyesight and earshot. This sounds like a no-brainer, but it is amazing how much "stuff" collects in the practice area and distracts us. It is also amazing how often the cell phone rings when you have better things to do! It is better to play to a blank wall than a large window!

Try and set up a constant time when to practice. We are creatures of habit and good habits are good for us!

Make plans and take notes. Go into a practice session with an achievable goal and reward yourself if you attain it. Nothing spurs development more than positive motivation.

There are also many things that have more to do with acoustics:

Get as much space as possible between the bell and the opposite wall as possible. Our hearing defines many things according to how quickly the sound gets to our ears. If we play directly into a corner or wall, the reflected sound has a lot of high frequency content and we will compensate for that. That can make our sound "dull" when playing in a big room as well as learning everything that has to do with "projection" wrongly.

If your practice room is small, do not play extremely loudly, rather try to get a very full sound at medium and low volume levels.

If you can arrange it, try and hang a rug or heavy drapes onto the wall you are blowing into. They soak up the high frequencies and help you play more brilliantly.

More to come, but let's get some of your ideas!

Robin

MJ likes this.
  2. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    Phil Collins posted an article on his blog awhile back about equipping your practice room with multiple stands—one for solos, one for etude books and one for excerpts. I adapted this idea this past week. My three stands are arranged a bit differently: Vizzutti's first book and Clarke on one stand for tounging practice and finger exercise; Phil's books, Arban's and Concone on another stand; and on the third stand I put quintet parts and other music I need to brush up on. I try to spend 10 minutes on each (at least) and then keep making the rounds until I have to dash off to do something else.

Oh, and I always keep at least one of the windows open in my practice room so I'm more motivated to sound the best I can. Helps keep me in a performance mindset versus just "going through" an exercise.

Andy

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oooh, good thread! I love the multiple stands idea--thanks Andy! Multiple trumpet stands are good too (for those of us with multiple trumpets)--it is a lot easier to pick up my instrument when it is out of the case--although I love my old Bach Elkhardt case with the ceremonial dark(!) blue velvet--and having them hanging on the wall is even better--it not only looks cool, but is functional too.

I'm not taking down my Jennifer Aniston poster, however, nor the polaroid of me and Marilyn Chambers.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB,
    just make sure that the poster is on the wall behind you. Nothing more frustrating than looking at a girl you can't get when chasing notes you can't get.....................

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    A few years back I built a small room in back of my basement,approx.18ftx6ft. wide.All the walls, as well as the ceiling are fully insulated.I can play anytime I feel like it without my wife and kids yelling at me.No one goes in it but me and I can leave my horns out on there stands all the time.One thing I find helpful is keeping a log of my practice sessions.This helps to make sure your spending enough time playing and also making sure your practicing the right materials.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Great post Rowuk. I can't have a computer in my practice room. Too much TrumpetMaster

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mirrors! Don't forget how important mirrors can be when practicing!:cool:

8. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Computer is my down fall as well. I often wonder if the best players on TM are the ones with the least posts...j/k.

This may sound familiar as I got the idea from an old friend of ours. But I keep a radio on very softly with the news or some other current events talk radio. when my lips are feeling a bit tired I stop and listen to a complete story.

I have 3 different places I like to practice.

1) I have found an office up at school that is used to store all of the records in the departments music library. No one ever goes in there, and I can leave my stuff lying around. I feel completely isolated and I feel like I get my most productive practice done there.
    2) In the office that I teach in at a local music store. I only practice here in between lessons and on maintenance type playing or pieces I know fairly well. This kinda follows an earlier post about opening the window. When I am here I know everyone in the lobby and all of the staff can hear. As a teacher I feel like every time I mess up they think "geez we need someone better." Thought I know better.
    3)Outside in a clearing in some trees near my Apt. out here I feel0 peaceful and I dont have to worry about what anyone thinks. Kinda nice.
    JR

9. Tempo600

Tempo600 New Friend

May 11, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could I ask you what type and grade of insulation that you used for your practice room? I am in a similar situation as you and I need to build a more quiet space for my son and I to practice.

Thanks,

Mark

10. randallged

randallged New Friend

Dec 21, 2007
    I found a fun place to practice... in a train station. I live near a commuter line and after the rush few people enter. There's A/C and the accoustics are great. I practice Clark there (Arban is too big for my stand), and if someone comes in I switch to some mem'd ballads. Most people that enter say "don't stop playing on my account"... so I don't.